Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any of you could give me any input.

i went to Sears today to set my alignment. i have a 2005 Focus ST with the saleen suspension. i'm sitting on Rota's and use the stock tire size. I asked them to zero the toe in the front, and give me 0.15 toe in on each side in the rear.

They gave me the following:
F 0.01 total toe
R 0.15 total toe in

so as you can see, they didn't do the rear to my specs. i'm trying to go for the best tire life. i don't race, or autox anymore, but i like my car to look nice as you can see. will i be ok with these settings, or do i need to go back and tell them to fix it? thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Are your above settings in inches or degrees (there's big difference)? I'm guessing degrees because of the rear numbers. If so, 0.15 degrees of rear toe-in is the minimum allowable per side for an 05. Because you have lowered the car it would be desirable to have even less rear toe-in. If the combined rear toe-in spec is 0.15 degrees as you referenced then you should have 0.07 or so or rear toe-in on each each corner. The print out should show those numbers. I recommend using the SVT alignment specs for any lowered car (thru 05). The SVT minimum rear toe-in spec is 0.04 inches (sorry I do not have the spec in degrees). 0.01 to 0.02 inches of toe out is desirable in the front.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they did 0.15 R TOTAL TOE IN.

i don't think i specified that.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
aTm [:) said:
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)];2503400]they did 0.15 R TOTAL TOE IN.

i don't think i specified that.

For clarification purposes: "total toe-in" would be the combined total toe-in of both rear wheels. If both total .15, individually they have to less or something like .075 and .075 of toe-in per side or some other combination. If combined, you may actually be in a good situation as its desirable to have less than 0.15 degrees per side.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would this help with tire wear? i'm trying to get the most miles out of my tires.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
aTm [:) said:
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)];2504871]would this help with tire wear? i'm trying to get the most miles out of my tires.

Absolutely! An incorrect alignment (that includes an alignment that is technically within spec....ford's allowable spec range has proven to be way too broad) is the major cause for tire wear, especially rear tire wear on a Focus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts