Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK-

so we all know it's a good idea to get the car aligned after you drop it a little (more than 1.5" seems to be the consensus). with this in mind, i ordered some rear camber bolts from mcnews at the same time that i ordered my FK 35/40 suspension kit. i didn't order the front kit for a couple reasons: 1) it's expensive! 2) i figured the front was unlikely to be out of whack since it's a strut setup, meaning there's little geometry to screw up.

i'm going to be putting everything in this friday afternoon, starting at about 1 when i get back from classes. from what i've read, i'm figuring anywhere between 3-5 hours for this job with the right tools. by then, all the alignment shops will be closed. i have to work both days this weekend, so getting it done then is out of the question. besides, the only shop i found in the area that was willing to do an alignment on dropped cars and has a good reputation is only open M-F. therefore, the alignment will have to wait until monday morning.

here's my question: will driving the car about 150 miles without an alignment do any serious damage? am i looking at some ungodly amount of treadwear? (if it makes any difference, i still have the stock 16" firesquawks) will the car even be driveable at all? or am i just an over protective focus-lover who pampers and worries about his car like Kyle's mom worries about him (South Park reference if you didn't get it)?

Mike

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
lol. no, you would only notice treadwear problems after SEVERAL thousand miles after the drop, on an extreme drop. i have had the H&R Cup Kit (2.7" advertised drop) on my car for about 9 months now, and have yet to get an alignment (that's about 10,000 miles). i have no noticeable treadwear problems.

hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts