Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im running Eibach Lowering springs, and when I put tires on my 18's I asked to have the car aligned, and they told me they couldn't do it because of the lowering springs.

My Question is, I dont have camber adjustment plates, yet, but is it not possible to reset the toe to 0 with a lowered car? It seemed sort of pointless for them to tell me that, but is that really true or are they just blowing smoke? They told me they could install camber adj.plates and set my camber right for like 675$ and it just seemed too much for me....

anyone?

·
Registered
549 Posts
if you went with a aggresive lowering 2+ inches, then the range of adjustment isnt enough to correct the camber issues...or so i have been told. you can pick up a alignment kit for under 150 dollars if you search around.i have tein springs and i aligned them myself with a old fashioned bubble level alignment tool, and while they arent at 0 degrees, they are damn close and i have no issues

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
i had sportlines on my ol zx3, and i was told the same thing. they adjusted as much as they could, but couldnt get it right. you'll have to get camber plates

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I am lowered 1.8", and they aligned me back to spec. no problem without buying any additional parts.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
No, I don't think so. Most alignment places get mad when they have to do a lowered car, because its more work for them. Sometimes, you do need to purchase shims or camber tools/plates.

I go to Sears, they upped the price to 69.99, but you get the 6 month warranty as long as you don;t change anything on the suspension in that time.

I however, plan on going back to get another alignment after I install my kyb dampers, hehehee...and hope they don't notice they are different.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Eibachs were installed on the car but Im pretty sure they are the Pro Kit springs which are only a 1.25'' drop....Im thinking the shop just didn't wanna hastle with a lowered car, im planning on picking up some SPC Camber plates and rear bolts to correct the negative camber....

Oh and just as another quick question, the wear on my tire is of course to the inside of the tire, but it's very uneven, and the tire has developed "humps" in even spots all the way around, does this mean I have just seeerious negative camber, or is there something else I should check for damage of some sort?

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
eazyrider_tim said:
I am lowered 1.8", and they aligned me back to spec. no problem without buying any additional parts.
I was told that too, but it went to shit after 10k miles..

Go to a performance shop and get it done, i also added full camber kit front and rear and that helped a ton. Now i have about 20k on my new tires and they look new (minus what i take off)

But buy a camber kit and find a frame shop or a mom and pop shop who has worked with performance cars...

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
F being told, get your print out. Everything on mine is in the green, it gives you the factory recommended specs right there on the side, then your settings before/after the alignment.

NEVER take the shops word for it, get your print out, you paid for it.

Your tires sound like they are feathering.....thats from having your toe settings wrong. The alignment will fix this.

Ford Foci comes with a little bit of rear camber, its going to lean in a bit ( negative camber) on the rears a bit about 100 miles after you alignment....its within specs, but visible.

Go to the car lot, and look at a rear shot of brand new Foci.......they are made that way.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, I called the Ford dealer near me about installing Eibach Pro Kits on my ST and told them the specs for the drop Eibach says (1.2 front 1.6 rear) and asked if I needed an alignment. They said that since it's just the springs and it's not an excessive (2"+) drop, that there is really no need for one but they'd charge me $67.95 if I wanted one done to ease my mind.
I'm going to have them installed and then look at it after and decide but I'm not worried about it.

[thumb]

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Your toe and caster will be out, but yes you are right, it won't pull to the left or right. But 70.00 is cheaper than buying new tires in 4 months.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Funny thing is I also called a performance shop a few towns over and they quoted me at the labor and alignment for the 4 springs at $675.00. I was like holy crap. I called Ford and for the same it was $365.00. I was amazed at the difference, and the fact that Ford would know HOW to PROPERLY work on my ST. Some of these places are crazy scam shops. Comparison shop reputable businesses though!

[thumb]

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i just had a local shop install my eibach sportline springs and pro dampers yesterday with a four wheel alignment. the cost for labor and alignment was just over 200. not bad. and the funny part about it is i bought all the camber bolts and plates and they didnt even need them. but 42mm offset and sportlines do not mix as i had to roll my fenders today. after about 30 min i have no more rubbing.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
the camber kit can still be installed and adjusted to be anywhere in the range...

Also installing a suspension on a car is super easy, esp the focus. Just host a G2g and get a bunch of people to help you

·
Registered
312 Posts
Oh and just as another quick question, the wear on my tire is of course to the inside of the tire, but it's very uneven, and the tire has developed "humps" in even spots all the way around, does this mean I have just seeerious negative camber, or is there something else I should check for damage of some sort?
Sorry to revive an old thread but this is my current issue also. My rear tires are wearing all outa wack on the inside. It's like every other chunk of tread (about 1 1/2 inches) is raised. Its not super visable but if you feel it it is very obvious. I mostly noticed it because of the progressivly louder hum coming from the tires. Bearings and suspension are good. Could negative camber be the issue?

Not to sound too rookie, but after reading some threads it seems the rears need to be alligned to. I thought only the fronts needed alignment and the rears were mostly camber issues.

Either way, I'm taking mine in for its 100k service. Will they be able to check and fix any camber issues, if that is the problem, without costing me an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Rear tire wear is not uncommon on a Focus even one that is not lowered. Ford has a really bad spec range that is too broad and some spec combinations will eventually chew your tires up.

With a lowered 2003 car you want these specs in the rear. You want (and have to ask for) 0.04" (inches of rear toe-in). Plus or minus a hundredth is OK. This is the minimum spec for an SVT and works well on lowered non-SVT's. Rear camber not exceeding -1.6 degrees is advisable. To get this amount of camber you may need a rear camber correcting devise. I like and use camber bolts. They give about 1 degree of correction, are relatively easy to install and are cheap (30.00 or so).

An alignment being in the "green" doesn't make it on a Focus, especially on the rear end.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Geez!

If I buy camber bolts and install them is it relativly easy to make the adjustments to where they need to be or am i going to need to have a shop do it?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The bolts need to be adjusted at the time of alignment. There is no way to do it yourself other than guess or buy mechanical camber gauges you can buy from race shops for about 250.00.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts