Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd share my experience driving my new 2012 Focus Titanium hatchback from Anchorage to northern California. I ordered this car while I was deployed in Afghanistan, through the Army/Air Force Exchange new car sales program. I got a pretty good deal on the car, paying about $24.5K on a titanium hatch that has almost everything on it including MFT, leather, etc. along with extended warranty. I ordered it in Kona Blue but of course it came with Sonic blue, which looks really good to me. I put about 300 miles on the car in the Anchorage area to give it a little bit of break-in time. At that point I also changed the oil and filter (too soon I know, but I wanted to switch to synthetic). I put Castrol Edge Syntec 5W-20 with a K&N oil filter. I plan to do about 10K oil changes from this point on, but may switch over to Mobil 1 next time. The car now has about 3,400 miles on it, with 3,000 of those in the past 5 days. I drove the Alaska Hwy to the junction with the Cassiar Hwy near Watson Lake YT and then took the Cassiar south toward Prince George, and from there down toward Vancouver. Crossed the border and hit I-5 for the final stretch toward home. I completely enjoyed the car, which had plenty of power for passing and handled well on the curvy mountain roads. Everything worked great, including Sync and MFT. I enjoyed the Sirius radio along the remote stretches of road where no radio stations exist. I averaged 35 mpg over the entire trip (kept track of all gallons and liters of gas I purchased). I was hoping to approach 40 and tried to keep speeds to 65 mph or less, but with a new engine and mountain driving I am probably doing pretty well with 35. This is with 89 octane gas. The 6-speed did give me a few abrupt shifts and some shuddering, but seems to be smoothing out. Overall I am extremely pleased with the car, and it survived the trip with no rock chips or dings. I am a big fan of the 2012 Focus!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Glad to hear that you liked it. I would not have the 8a!!s to drive that distance on a new car. I was mad that I had to take mine into Manhattan and put 75 hard miles in her one day.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service in the military.

Do you have navigation?

There seems to be a consensus that the issues with MFT are correlated with having nav. Just curious. Glad you like the car!!!

Tony

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd share my experience driving my new 2012 Focus Titanium hatchback from Anchorage to northern California. I ordered this car while I was deployed in Afghanistan, through the Army/Air Force Exchange new car sales program. I got a pretty good deal on the car, paying about $24.5K on a titanium hatch that has almost everything on it including MFT, leather, etc. along with extended warranty. I ordered it in Kona Blue but of course it came with Sonic blue, which looks really good to me. I put about 300 miles on the car in the Anchorage area to give it a little bit of break-in time. At that point I also changed the oil and filter (too soon I know, but I wanted to switch to synthetic). I put Castrol Edge Syntec 5W-20 with a K&N oil filter. I plan to do about 10K oil changes from this point on, but may switch over to Mobil 1 next time. The car now has about 3,400 miles on it, with 3,000 of those in the past 5 days. I drove the Alaska Hwy to the junction with the Cassiar Hwy near Watson Lake YT and then took the Cassiar south toward Prince George, and from there down toward Vancouver. Crossed the border and hit I-5 for the final stretch toward home. I completely enjoyed the car, which had plenty of power for passing and handled well on the curvy mountain roads. Everything worked great, including Sync and MFT. I enjoyed the Sirius radio along the remote stretches of road where no radio stations exist. I averaged 35 mpg over the entire trip (kept track of all gallons and liters of gas I purchased). I was hoping to approach 40 and tried to keep speeds to 65 mph or less, but with a new engine and mountain driving I am probably doing pretty well with 35. This is with 89 octane gas. The 6-speed did give me a few abrupt shifts and some shuddering, but seems to be smoothing out. Overall I am extremely pleased with the car, and it survived the trip with no rock chips or dings. I am a big fan of the 2012 Focus!
That's quite an adventure, and a lot of driving in 5 days! I'm glad everything worked so well.

I bet you passed through some beautiful country. Any pics? [welcome]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tony, I did not order it with Nav. I have several vehicles so a portable Garmin makes more sense to me. I really am impressed with the quality of the vehicle, although I'm hoping the 6-speed gets the kinks worked out soon. I'm not really sure how to post a pic but I'll give it a try, Jessica

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very very nice!!! Your car looks great as so does the scenery! A once in a lifetime opportunity, thank you for sharing! [loveff]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts