Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 05 Focus ZX3 used in 2008. About a year later, the airbag light starting coming on and staying on. I finally took it in and it was determined the clock spring needed to be replaced, which I did have replaced. The repair shop could not get the light to stay off however, and the airbag light continues to stay on. Now, my son is trying to get the state inspection done, which of course failed because of the light. This shop is telling him of course that the clock spring needs to be replaced after they scanned the system. I'm going to call them tomorrow and would really appreciate any suggestions I could give them besides replacing the clock spring again. Please help! [dunno]

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
check the wiring connectors under the seats. when I put my race seats in, I get an airbag light because I've disconnected sensors

·
Registered
521 Posts
The code they're getting indicates that the circuit is open on the driver's side. They say it's the clock spring because that's where the wiring flexes the most and therefore where it's most likely to break. You could have a connector loose under the driver's seat, poor contact between the clock spring and the wiring harness that plugs into it, or a broken wire elsewhere. Some people swear you should put dielectric grease on the contacts of the clock spring, others say you should never. But I think the majority have cleared the code by greasing the thing moderately -- not enough to short between contacts.

Toby

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The code they're getting indicates that the circuit is open on the driver's side. They say it's the clock spring because that's where the wiring flexes the most and therefore where it's most likely to break. You could have a connector loose under the driver's seat, poor contact between the clock spring and the wiring harness that plugs into it, or a broken wire elsewhere. Some people swear you should put dielectric grease on the contacts of the clock spring, others say you should never. But I think the majority have cleared the code by greasing the thing moderately -- not enough to short between contacts.

Toby
ok, glad i wasnt too far off. i just havent heard much of problems with the clock spring, which is why i mentioned connectors.

sounds like it would be worth spending some time with a multimeter checking continuity. narrow down the section where it is broken

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I called the shop where my son took the car and gave them the whole back story, telling them the clock spring had alreafy been replaced 3 years ago. They were humble enough to take my thoughts and suggestions but in the end, they had to replace the clock spring anyway. So far the light is off, but we will see. The light went off last time too, but only for a while. The folks who installed the last clock spring may have tweekef something during the install. From what I can tell, this part can be very touchy. Another $350. I will keep y'all comprised of the status. So sad this car has so many documented cases for this big problem with Ford never taking action.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
The spring has to be wound up to be centered in the steering wheel straight ahead position, if not then it will break very quick when one side runs out of ribbon before steering wheel hits the end of its' travel. Literally yanks the end out. I have also made them last longer by modifying the out lead to change its' curvature to allow for more travel before it gets pulled on, any excess moving of the ribbon is what breaks them, they only take so much flexing before the copper inside cracks. Flexing at the very ends is absolute death to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts