Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 focus sedan - when turning on the engine the airbag light does not come on.

THe car is a salvage from a rear end crash that the PO rebuilt. Seatbelt light commes on like normal.

A first obvious thing to check - is the bulb burnt out?

Then I'm guessing that the fuse and connectors for the airbag controls.

lastly i'm guessing that I'll need to get it to a dealer and have them read the codes from the airbac control module and reset them if possible.

Am I on track? Missing anything? Any shortcuts?

Thanks, Ethan

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I think the airbag light doesn't come on because there are no sensors in the rear (from what I've heard, anyway). Have they been deployed, though? maybe someone had it cleared....?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that when first turning the car on the airbag light does not come on at all. THis prevents the car from being licensed in Washington st.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
press and hold the Trip reset button turn the car on while still holding the reset.. after a few moments the cluster will go into test mode if im correct 1 press will cause the clusters gauges to sweep and illuminate the idiot lights see if it lights up there o_O I don't think my airbag light on my focus lights up ( I may be wrong its rare that I look at the cluster while starting)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
ok well this is odd...

Wagon 1 illuminated the airbag only when the key is turned to the on for about 2 seconds
Wagon 2 does NOT illuminate at all and that wagons NEVER seen an accident and the bags were never deployed ( Cluster check shows the bulbs ok)

heres the picture of wagon 1's cluster

I dunno what to say.. check the fuse to the airbag system

and no there is no sensors on the rear, if the bags deployed the light will be illuminated and stay illuminated.. they may of pulled the light on it cuz it was showing a fault only a cluster test will tell you if the lights there and working

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Ethan, is your Engine an SPI? it may be that between that and the zetec there's some kind of difference, though I really doubt it. and yeah, I guess I thought you meant the light was supposed to stay on when you turned it on, but it wasn't..... lol.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
I doubt they will use different Airbag controllers/sensors between the cars..

Both my Wagons are Zetecs but there is a slight difference
Wagon 1 is the Luxury Edition SE (All power no safety)
Wagon 2 is the Safety Edition SE (All Safety no power)

the only thing different between the 2 Wagons is Wagon 2 has 2 addition airbags which are seat mounted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Instrument cluser

Thanks for the reference to putting the instrument cluster into test mode. I was able to test the bulbs but the airbag lamp did not light. This is what you saw as well I think and is to be expected.

Looking at the "typical" wiring diagram that I have it shows that the airbag light does not go through the instrument cluster control but rather straight to the airbag diagnostic module.

The fuse for airbags is OK so that is out.

Darn I hate to take it to a dealer....

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Wait.. you put the cluster in Test mode and the Airbag light did not Illuminate means the the Light is burnt out or has been removed

you don;t have to take it to the dealer to fix that you just need to replace the lamp for the airbag

The Test mode i told you is for the cluster only it does not put the car through diagnostics, it reads the data stored in the cluster aswell as turning ALL lamps on causes teh gauges to sweep for diagnostic purposes to see if theres any burnt out/problems... the picture mine displayed is not in test mode it was taken almost immediately after I turned the key to on

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Later in the morning (not at this time XD 4am) I will go out and put one of the Wagons clusters in test mode and snap a shot of it, Im almost positive that the cluster test turned the light on....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts