Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my driver door panel off, due to the window not winding down, and after putting it back together, now the airbag light is constantly on. While having the door panel off, I did disconnect the impact sensor, as I thought it was had something to do with the window/motor. I did turn the key on while this was disconnected. Any idea how to turn the airbag light off? Or could I possibly of upset it when putting the panel back on the door banging on the bezels, etc to get them back on?

tl;dr... any way to clear/check airbag light without taking to Ford dealer?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
try disconecting the battery and letting it set for a few minutes and then reconecting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I disconnected the positive side of the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes...Started the car, and the light is still on. Anymore ideas?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You're gonna have to go to a shop that has a scan tool with the ability to clear ABS codes. I dont think they'll ever clear on a battery disconnect because the module is designed to keep all the codes stored in case they need to be read after an accident. But any shop with a snap on solus or equivalent scan tool should be able to clear them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, new and embarrassing development..

So when trying to fix the window issue, I hooked up a spare motorcycle (12V) battery directly to what I thought was the window motor power wire. This however is/was said side impact sensor. I checked fuses # 85 and 86 under the glovebox and both are good. Does anyone know anywhere else to look into/what I may have damaged?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I don't think you found a side impact sensor in the door. AFAIK it's on a cross frame reinforcement under the seat near the side. (best I saw in diagrams)

Electronic box in the door of some (prob. your SE) is a window control module.

If you happened to be messing under the seat at all, unplugging a seat sensor or damaging wires is a more likely cause of the airbag light.

If the Window is working OK, your hooking up to the wire MIGHT not have caused the problem.

Edit: I see there's one in the door from mp223 info., wonder how many exist now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It can't be the sensor, as I unplugged it and hooked up the power to the wire leading to the senor. C567 in above diagram in the door is exactly what I unplugged. That diagram would of been wonderful 2 days ago LOL.

I also vacuumed out the car right after I fixed the window and could of bumped the module under the driver's seat. Not sure if airbag light was on before vacuuming or not. Although, I doubt that's the issue now going back and realizing what I actually did and the steps I took.

Looks like I'll have to make a trip to dealership/shop, but for now just trying to eliminate anything I can do without a fancy scanner to clear the code.

I appreciate all the help. Anymore input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like I need to look into the Restraint Control Module. I don't see fuses for it listed anywhere in the owner's manual. Are there fuses located within the RCM?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah I'd look into the RCM next, it's located in the center console area. F86 in the Body Control Module is the fuse powering the RCM but you said that checked out OK. Most likely the RCM is toast then, maybe someone else can chime in? It'd actually be pretty interesting to learn the hows and whats that goes into an airbag system.

At this point, I if were you, I'd go to Auto Zone or something and have them read & reset the code, then if that doesn't fix it I'd go to a pick-n-pull and get an RCM (from a car with a non-airbag event...) and give it a go. I expect that'll be the first thing a dealership does while charging you $100/hour for the privilege.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Restraint Control Module blown... Ford want's a lot, now what? - MustangForums.com

I did find this. It is for a 01 Mustang however. But process may be similar to a 2012 Focus. Does anybody know where the RCM is located?

Edit: Also found this in another thread, but it is hard to tell where exactly it is.

Item Description
1 Front door side impact sensor
2 PAD indicator
3 OCS sensor
4 Safety belt retractor with Belt Tension Sensor (BTS)
5 C-pillar side impact sensor
6 Front impact severity sensor
7 RCM
8 Safety belt buckle with switch
9 Seat position sensor

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It's under the center console I think. At least i'm pretty sure thats what I saw when I had the sides of it off. Sounds about right according to that picture too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts