Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My airbag light is flashing 4 times, pause, 4 times, pause, 4 times, pause, 4 times, pause, then just stays on solid. I am trying to figure out what the code is and which part(s) may need replacement. Any help would greatly be appreciated. It is a 2000 model year.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My airbag light is flashing 4 times, pause, 4 times, pause, 4 times, pause, 4 times, pause, then just stays on solid. I am trying to figure out what the code is and which part(s) may need replacement. Any help would greatly be appreciated. It is a 2000 model year.
Here's what I found.... sounds like a code 44...

Found a "generic" Ford airbag code list... assuming they are the same for all models???

Air Bag Fault Code Table
AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR FAULT CODE PRIORITY TABLE
Priority Code Component/Fault Description
Highest -- No Air Bag Lamp - Inoperative Lamp Circuit or No Ignition Voltage to Diagnostic Monitor
| -- Continuous Air Bag Lamp - Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative
| 12 Low Battery Voltage
| 13 Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground
| 21 Safing Sensor - Not Mounted on Vehicle Properly
| 22 Safing Sensor Output Circuit - Shorted to Battery Voltage
| 23 Safing Sensor Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
| 24 Open in Circuit 944B or Low Resistance in Crash Sensor(s)
| 32 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open
| 33 Pin 7 Not Grounded at Diagnostic Monitor
| 34 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted
| 35 Low Resistance Across Pins 8 and 9 at Diagnostic Monitor
| 41 Crash Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open
| 44 RH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 45 Center Radiator Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 46 LH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Blown and Short to Ground No Longer Exists
| 52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault
| 53 Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault
Lowest -- Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Lamp - All Crash Sensors Disconnected

I'd take it in...but maybe someone on here knows how to fix the problem... good luck

btw...[welcome]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you checked the plugs right underneath your seats? I recently removed my front seats for an amp install and I forgot to plug the wire harness back in for the passenger seat and it did the same thing (I think). Maybe check under your seats to see if those black harnesses are loose. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just poke your head under there and you'll see it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I recently replaced both front airbags and the module and now get the flashing light. The car was in a minor front-end accident from previous owner and both airbags deployed. I have checked the connections under the seats and they are OK. I also have replacement clockspring and belts/pre-tensioners that I have not yet installed, just need the time to pull the steering wheel and seats out in order to do so. I am hoping that replacing the pre-tensioners/belts may take care of it, I hope it is not one of the crash sensors...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved- both seat belt pre-tensioners were shot. Car was in a minor front-end accident and I replaced the front airbags and the module but did not do the pre-tensioners at first. Replaced both of them this evening and the light stopped flashing and it no longer stays on solid. Thanks to all for your help.[cheers]

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 ford focus airbag problem

i am currently fixing an 2001 ford focus and it has been in a minor front end acceident. its all fixed and ready to go but the airbag light flashes 4 times then stays on . ive changed seatbelts , airbag module , and crash sensors.. and nothing has changed .. does anyone know my problem ? id really appreciate it ..this focus is becoming a pain. thanks alot![cheers]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
my guess is you have the same problem as the OP, it is prolly the tensioner

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced driver and pass airbags in a 2001 focus SE and had the modural reset by myairbags.com....Ive done this few times before and never had a problem but now Im getting a code 44 = 44 RH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly // Ive checked the sensors and cant see anything wrong....myairbags says it not the modual they reset....the code is 4 flashes pause and then repested 5 times till the light stays on....this year does not have a front mounted impact sensor (started in 02), so Im wondering whats wrong....any ideas???

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

I just replaced driver and pass airbags in a 2001 focus SE and had the modural reset by myairbags.com....Ive done this few times before and never had a problem but now Im getting a code 44 = 44 RH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly // Ive checked the sensors and cant see anything wrong....myairbags says it not the modual they reset....the code is 4 flashes pause and then repested 5 times till the light stays on....this year does not have a front mounted impact sensor (started in 02), so Im wondering whats wrong....any ideas???
i have the same problem. replaced rt seat pre-tensioner, light stil on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Airbag light

I replaced my divers side seat belt because it was fraying. When I started the car up again the car up again the airbag light came on and did the 4x flash. There is a plug on the base of the seat belt unit. Not sure if it is a bad seat belt unit or what. Any suggestions would be appreciates. I have a 2001 Focus SE

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you replace the female end of the belt that bolts to the seat with the t50 torx or just the belt and pretensioner located behind the plastic trim on the B pillar? I have the same flash and tried two female ends and no change so I think it has to do with the belt itself. Did you havE the problem before you replaced the belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced the belt unit ( pretensioner located behind the plastic trim on the B pillar), I did not have the issue before I replaced the belt unit. I bought another belt yesterday and replaced it again. light went off when I started up the car and has not come back on. There was also some rattling in the old belt unit.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
you should go to a shop and have them hook it up to a machine, will tell you whats wrong and which sensor

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where did you purchase the belt / pretensioner? And how much was it? I think this is what I need to get my light off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar issue

I just bought a 2002 Focus Wagon. I get blinking lights first one then three. I see from the list that it is a ground fault, but where would I look?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2002 Focus Airbag Diagnostic Flash Code (DFC) 34

The internet is a blessing and a curse. I took the seats from a donor focus and put them in recipient focus. The donor had been in an accident, but the airbags did not deploy. I got the recipient up and running and was getting DFC 34. Per the chart above, this sent me looking at the drivers side airbag circuit. After replacing the clock spring and airbag, I applied dielectric grease to the connections on both ends of the clock spring and the connections at the airbag module. No results were obtained, so I went back to the internet. I found: http://www.vehix411.com/ford-airbag-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs/
which lead me to: Restraint System – Safety Belt Pretensioner Status (Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Failure). Sure enough, the buckle on just the passenger side was low, compared to the driver's side, and you could see the compression of the plastic around the arm/cable supporting the buckle. As with the airbag and clock spring, I had an extra passenger seat and the problem was solved. This is my 29th Focus restoration (19 conversions from SPI to Zetec) and I learn something new every time!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts