Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Airbag light diagnosing

1498 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  dukenukem
Well... my airbag light is on, and I really don't know why. I was wondering if their is anyway that I can diagnose the problem, without taking it to the stealer and paying the fees. It flashes several times, then turns on solid. Help!
Thanks,
Dylan
BTW, I did search until my eyes were red, and found nothing!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone has to know a code reader that I can buy, or another place I can go to see it diagnosed. Will it show the code if I do the trip button analyzer? Please help, or point me in the right direction.

· Late for Dinner
16,636 Posts
ok, ill ask a stupid question thats not really stupid.
Does your horn work?
if yes, nevermind
if no, your clockspring behind the steeringwheel is shot. seems after ahile the cable pulls loose. which sets the light off due to an open airbag circuit.
horn and cc also run through the clockspring.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went down to autozone, and they said that this was a dealer item only.

As for the seatbelt sensor, I have no idea if that could be it... I really don't want to start replacing things that might not be the problem, since I don't have unlimited funds.

Lastly, my horn does work fine.... I used it today as a matter of fact [}:)]
Thanks for looking guys, but so far I think that I'm going to have to take it in to the stealer.

I also counted the flashes, and it flashes once, stops for a few seconds, and then flashes three times. Could this be analized?

· Registered
3,746 Posts
I believe it is flashing a code 13 at you, which might mean "Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground." (It does for some other Fords, and most likely for Focus'es as well). I'd check the wires going to the crash sensors to see if any have rubbed and worn a bare spot.

But for airbag stuff, you really should just take it to the dealer, unless you really know what you are doing. You don't want to accidentally set one off.

This info on Mustang airbags might also be of interest, as it describes the codes and much of this stuff tends o be common. But I wouldn't trust any of the pinouts mentioned:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html#CODE13

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
penguin said:
I believe it is flashing a code 13 at you, which might mean "Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground." (It does for some other Fords, and most likely for Focus'es as well). I'd check the wires going to the crash sensors to see if any have rubbed and worn a bare spot.

But for airbag stuff, you really should just take it to the dealer, unless you really know what you are doing. You don't want to accidentally set one off.

This info on Mustang airbags might also be of interest, as it describes the codes and much of this stuff tends o be common. But I wouldn't trust any of the pinouts mentioned:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html#CODE13
Thanks for the link, it proved to be the most helpful out of all the information! And sadly, it is seemingly inevitable that the stealer will once again, claim my money [:(] .

· Registered
35 Posts
dukenukem said:
And sadly, it is seemingly inevitable that the stealer will once again, claim my money [:(] . [/B]
My airbag light has been on for years. Like....4 years?
It doesn't flash or anything, but....everytime I take it somewhere they mention it and everytime I reply that people drove cars for many years with out airbags, and while it could most definitely help in a crash, it's not something that NEEDS to be fixed."

One dealership told me it'd cost $200 just to do diagnostics on it.

No thanks.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KariM said:
My airbag light has been on for years. Like....4 years?
It doesn't flash or anything, but....everytime I take it somewhere they mention it and everytime I reply that people drove cars for many years with out airbags, and while it could most definitely help in a crash, it's not something that NEEDS to be fixed."

One dealership told me it'd cost $200 just to do diagnostics on it.

No thanks.
Actually I called aroung in San Diego, and the price of the diagnostic isn't too bad.... between 100-150 bucks. The only reason I don't want to do it is it will show up on the carfax, if I intend on selling the car in the future.

· Registered
35 Posts
dukenukem said:
Actually I called aroung in San Diego, and the price of the diagnostic isn't too bad.... between 100-150 bucks. The only reason I don't want to do it is it will show up on the carfax, if I intend on selling the car in the future.
Getting it diagnosed will show up on carfax?
Wouldn't a non-working airbag cause a red flag too, if you sell and it's not fixed?

I don't know how carfax 'n stuff works, but...I'm sure if I tried to sell my car right now, no one would take it with my light on.

· Registered
157 Posts
KariM, I sincerely hope you get your airbag system fixed. Too many people I know have been severely injured in older pre-airbag cars. My friends and I like our classics and musclecars, as well as our older jeeps, but we know we're going to get banged up when our luck runs out. My mother took a hell of a beating in an accident without airbags, and she'll never be the same. It wasn't even a head-on collision.

Given the choice of protecting people or protecting my CarFax report, I'll choose people.

· Registered
25 Posts
You don't have to co to the dealer for air bag problems, most Independent repair shop can fix your problem and do it much cheaper. It is not DEALER ONLY. It can not show up on car fax and I know I'm new here but I have experiance with air bags and have fixed many sytems. and I don't even like messing with them.

For you own safty take it someone who is trained

· Registered
159 Posts
if you go to an autozone...You can loan a tool that will cost 148.00...but, once you return it you get a full refund...lol...i know that becuase i work at an autozone....in CALI, we can no longer go out to your car and do it becuase of national auto buareu (sorry for spelling error) said we cant...
so call a local autozone and see if they have one....hope this helps

-michael

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CSINUT2007 said:
if you go to an autozone...You can loan a tool that will cost 148.00...but, once you return it you get a full refund...lol...i know that becuase i work at an autozone....in CALI, we can no longer go out to your car and do it becuase of national auto buareu (sorry for spelling error) said we cant...
so call a local autozone and see if they have one....hope this helps

-michael
Well... when I went there, they said that it wasn't possible to check the airbags with their stuff. Is it an OBD2 code reader that diagnoses it, or is it a special airbag tool? Please let me know, as I will go down there tomorrow and pick it up!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.