Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I recently bought a 2012 SEL Focus and after a week I noticed that the airbag light on the dash didn't turn off (at fist I though it was normal) but after I noticed that in my girlfriends fiesta it did turn off I knew there was something wrong with my car. I took it to the dealership were I bought it, they had it for more than a week and they just told me "you're car is too new, we still don't have the enough info to fix it". So, my Focus still has the airbag light on and I know this means the system is deactivated and the airbags wont work in case of an impact. Anyone here has had a similar issue? I also noticed some issues regarding the quality built on the central console, just below the automatic a/c controls, theres a big gap on the left side. Just were the console makes a curve, it seems that the plastic thing doesnt fit properly and it's kind of annoying. Should I get this fix or is this a general issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
the airbags will still deploy incase of an impact even if the light is on, the light just indicates that there is a fault with the system. and if anything i would go back to the dealer and talk with the service manager and have them do something with the airbag light. I would also ask about the gap on your console, ask them if you could see the another new focus on the lot and see if that car also has this gap, if it does then it might just be the way it is. but like i said i would strongly recommend to peruse this with the dealer and talk to management about it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Get the airbag issue fixed. As far as the gap... Mine is the same way. Im curious how they would fix that. Please keep us updated on both issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is it even legal to sell a new car with disabled air bags? I would leave the car at the dealer until it's fixed. If they won't fix it file a complaint with the NHTSA.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

·
Vinyl + LED guru
4,243 Posts
If the airbag isn't fixed free, go to the BBB and report the dealer. Go to any dealer and claim it or Ford directly!

·
Registered
772 Posts
the airbags will still deploy incase of an impact even if the light is on, the light just indicates that there is a fault with the system.
This is not true and not known if the airbags will deploy in an accident with the light on. The airbags could be disabled when the light is on depending on if a crash sensor or module is bad.

The dealership should of given you a loaner car on the spot if they couldn't fix the problem, for your safety.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't care how new it is or what they have to do to fix it that's their problem. This is a safety issue and they need to take care of it, not send you home with an unsafe car.

As far as the gap in the console, it would help everyone on the forum if you would post a picture of problem. There are some really good shots of the consoles in the dealer brochure for the 2012 Focus so you can compare yours to that too. I have the SEL and have no idea what you are talking about yet as I have not notice anything out of the ordinary with my console.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"you're car is too new, we still don't have the enough info to fix it"
I'm agree with them....it seems that Ford built this car and sent them to the dealers annd told them "hey, we have a new car...sell them", but they didn't send the info on how it was built and how to repair it.

As for the Airbags...This SHOULD be reported to the proper Authority. It's a joke that a dealer gives you a brand new car but they don't know how to fix it.
Get a printed answer on that and go to the high authority and report it [smackbum].
I bet if some news paper or tv find this, well, they will even give you another car..

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm agree with them....it seems that Ford built this car and sent them to the dealers annd told them "hey, we have a new car...sell them", but they didn't send the info on how it was built and how to repair it.
Nope, that's just a shitty dealer that didn't want to be bothered with fixing the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just had this issue the other day. On my 05 Focus it did it whenever I parked the car with the wheels FULLY turned. I parked the car into a spot pretty quick on a tight turn the other day and when I got back in the airbag light stayed on. Drove for a minute turned the car off then back on and it was gone. Will try to recreate it in the 2012 but I know for a fact my 2005 did it every time I had the wheel completely turned after parking and starting the car. Just by chance I bought a bluetooth OBD adapter a while back and had it in my car, checked for any fault codes and nothing popped up. Not sure why the light would come on without any fault codes at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll post a foto of the gap on the console later today, as soon as I get out of work. They called me from the dealer today, they told me to take it back on monday, that they received some info from Ford and that they need around three days to find what is really going on. Regarding the gap, I'm afraid of telling the dealership to fix it, what if instead they just make it worse? I just saw a video on youtube from a 2012 Focus owner that had an issue with the a/c and the dealer disasembled this part and couldn't put it back on...shame...I'll post some fotos later on, let's see if someone else has this console issue.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Is this what you're talking about. Seems pretty minor on my car. If it's that or having a mechanic dig into my console, that's something I can live with and I'm crazy obsessive about my car, among other things.

To the right of the shifter

To the left of the shifter

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep...those are the gaps...then are these normal??? It's just that it doesnt seem correct. I mead what can I expect of this gap in a couple of years...maybe the piece falling off?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
That is not true. Service information is available to a dealer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
could it be that the pieces are not clipped together properly for the gaps to be like that? Have you tried to push it in some bit to see if it would clip?

·
Registered
788 Posts
could it be that the pieces are not clipped together properly for the gaps to be like that? Have you tried to push it in some bit to see if it would clip?
I tried pushing the two pieces together and both are very secure where they are. I wonder if this is just the way some of them are. After all, it's an upscale economy car that's pieced together one multi piece component at a time, not a luxury car built piece by piece. Now, that's just a personal opinion and an observation, I have no proof to back up my statement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts