Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the advantages of filling the tires w/nitrogen? recently I intalled the Eibach pro kit and took the car for alignment, I was asked if I wanted to fill the tires w nitrogen $5 per tire w lifetime refills (lifetime of the tires, which are brand new).

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the idea of nitrogen is apealing, but its not a good idea. nitrogen when contaminated can corode and eat away at the metal on the rim. and once you open up ur valvestem to check tire pressure, the nitrogen gets contaminated.

·
Registered
921 Posts
It's really a rip. The tires will be worn out way before the normal atmosphere dry-rots the rubber. Plus they're exposed to air everyday, and take a larger beating from roadways and debris.

·
Registered
124 Posts
nitrogen from my understanding doesn't heat up as fast as oxygen does, when it does heat up it heats up more uniformly around the inside of the tire. Also Oxygen breaks down rubber so have only nitrogen can potentionally prolong the life of your tire from the inside. If I were you talk to the guys at the tire shop about it. they would give you more through information and also might show displays to better explain how it works.

In my opinion nitrogen is a good if you autocross or do track days but for a daily driver it isn't going to make much difference at all.

Where I personally fill my tires with Hydrogen because it makes my car float and makes driving quite explosive.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
nitrogen from my understanding doesn't heat up as fast as oxygen does, when it does heat up it heats up more uniformly around the inside of the tire. Also Oxygen breaks down rubber so have only nitrogen can potentionally prolong the life of your tire from the inside. If I were you talk to the guys at the tire shop about it. they would give you more through information and also might show displays to better explain how it works.

In my opinion nitrogen is a good if you autocross or do track days but for a daily driver it isn't going to make much difference at all.

Where I personally fill my tires with Hydrogen because it makes my car float and makes driving quite explosive.
this statement is TRUE, but the amount of time you will have the tire, the tread on the tire will wear out long before it dry rots. and if you do lose pressure you need to fill it back up with nitrogen, and thats not very convient to drive back to the shop during business hours to do so, especially when your susposted to check them monthly.

its all matter of opinion, there are advantages as stated above, but in most cases its not practical. and the bennifits wont be seen especially for $5/tire

·
Registered
921 Posts
The Earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. The oxygen and water vapor content of the air is not at a high enough level to justify paying for nitrogen in your tires to prevent dry-rot and the breakdown of the chemical compounds in the tire. Trust me, I work with this stuff everyday at work and it will only make your wallet lighter.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I personally fill my tires with Hydrogen because it makes my car float and makes driving quite explosive.
[histerical]

youre getting a good deal, would have cost me $14 a tire for my bike with no lifetime refills. Wouldn't get it though, the tires are gonna wear out faster than theyd corrode, like the other guys said.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I dont think its worth it, I dont see any advantage, it definatly heats up as uniformily as regular air inside a tire. I know it may not dry rot the tire, but come on the only tires I have seen dry rotted are 15-16 years old, which by that time you should have already replaced them. I heard of someone saying that it gives you a smoother ride too, but I cant see why it would, I kind of think this is one of those things like putting acetone in your gasoline will increase gas mileage 200%.

·
Registered
872 Posts
This was really nothing more than a marketing gimmick which I believe is now dying away. Yes, nitrogen has bigger molecules which supposedly won't seep through the tire carcass as quickly as air, but as you should be checking tire pressure regularly anyway......is it worth the money? There was also a company or companies producing/marketing a shop "Nitrogen Generator" that some auto repair companies (Canadian Tire here was one) etc. rented/leased, including the airline that I worked for, but after a relatively short time it went back to the good old HP N2 bottles. The idea I suspect did come from the military/aviation/airline industry where dry nitrogen (inert and free of moisture and contaminants) is used for tire inflation to primarily help prevent corrosion of the aluminum alloy wheels and contamination of the tire carcass. Large aircraft wheels and tires are worth big bucks and the wheels are inspected/checked or "overhauled" when the wheel/tire assemblies come in the shop for a "tire change". Some tires can be recapped several times if the basic tire carcass is OK.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you want to go nitrogen, get a tank, and find a place that has a pump available to the public. It'll be like regular air tire filling machine, but instead of $0.25-$1 per however many minutes that is, it's more like $1-$3. Fill tires and your tank, so you can make adjustments monthly as well as at the track or autocross.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just bought some new tires for the winter and the shop filled them with Nitrogen for free. I see no difference at all over regular air. They told me Nitrogen will increase gas mileage and decrease tire wear. However I'm still getting the same mileage. Not sure on the tire wear yet obviously but I wouldn't pay for this. Regular air is just fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
no the idea with saving gas mileage is as it was stated above. With Nitrogen you loose less tire pressure over time so you maintain better tire pressure which results in maintaining better fuel economy but you can counter that by consistently checking tire pressure which most people don't. 90% of people dont even check there oil.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
I thought about this as well a year ago but then you guys told me otherwise. if you plan on taking you car to the track then i wouldnt do it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I fill mine with Helium... then my car is lighter, and thus faster... [:eek:)]

But really... I think it's a total scam job... Car tires have been filled with air for how many years now.... yeah [dunno]

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've known race teams to use it beause they claim it maintains more even pressure and temps, but I haven't seen any evidence proving it made any difference. I DOES lose less pressure over large amounts of time, but you should be keeping up with that. I don't use it but if it was free or really really cheap I would.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had my tires(winter and summer) filled with nitrogen for almost 3 years now and they never lost any pressure which was quite common for me before. So that's a big advantage for me. And I think I can afford 5$ per tire for that! Once it's done, it's done!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts