Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever installed air shocks on the rear of a Focus SE?
I need to keep the rear level when I have it loaded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Air Shocks
Really? Please explain why.
Air Shocks are ancient technology. Air Shocks dont react in a manner that would help todays suspensions. Now if you are are using air suspension that is completely different, An air suspension would be used on all 4 corners of the vehicle with an "active air compressor". An active air compressor will constantly adjust air pressure in the system to accommodate the needs of each shock. This would keep the car stable and in control without upsetting the balance of the car.
Air shocks use pressurized air to just raise or lower the rear of the car to help the coil springs carry extra weight. And if air pressure is to high or too low the natural balance of the suspension is upset when no extra weight is applied to the rear suspension. For example the front suspension would either carry excessive weight or not enough weight and cause either tight or loose steering resulting in dangerous handling.
So in a nutshell the weight distribution will now be upset and handling is garbage.
So stay away from Air Shocks unless you want to constantly adjust your rear shocks to maintain stability and comfort.
Besides I doubt if there are any Air Shocks for the Focus.
As far as the independent suspension Air Shocks will constantly change the rear geometry camber and caster can change as much as 1 degree degrading handling and tire wear dramatically.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. So they are for the low boys at shows, so to speak.

I just ask as a friend has a Range Rover with air suspension, but I guess that came from the factory.

Not to detract from the OP question, I did a quick Google search and there are some kits available for the focus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah the full suspension kits are but the " Air Shocks " I refer to are just for the rear suspension.
I guess I should have been more clear in my definition of Air Shocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Timbren doesn't have a specific Focus kit but maybe you could find a option small enough and adapt it for what you're wanting? If properly installed they won't engage until the vehicle is sufficiently loaded.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don’t get air shocks. If they’re anything like the ones I had “back in the day” on my El Camino then my Camaro, they’re awful. Hell if they’re 1/10th as bad I‘d run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts