Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body runnin a air bag setup on there foic? any troubles? how the ride quality?where could i get one. how hard is the install? lemm eknow thnks guys.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i dont have one but i have friends that doo and let me tell you this. air bags are not for winter/allseason. if you blow a bag there is no easy fix , you have to just replace it, handling , if you are tring to get great ride comfort then yes its a great idea but for taking turns its a no no. i thought about the idea till i found out how much it cost to do this and maintaine it. it cost more to maintain it then what its worth new. just think very carfuly if you want to do this cause if you dont have it done right it could kill your car.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i dont have one but i have friends that doo and let me tell you this. air bags are not for winter/allseason. if you blow a bag there is no easy fix , you have to just replace it, handling , if you are tring to get great ride comfort then yes its a great idea but for taking turns its a no no. i thought about the idea till i found out how much it cost to do this and maintaine it. it cost more to maintain it then what its worth new. just think very carfuly if you want to do this cause if you dont have it done right it could kill your car.
not nessicarily. if done correctly with good name brand stuff air ride can be as reliable and as good if not better handling than most aftermarket coilover kits.

heres a good front 9 way adjustable kit for a focus
http://www.suicidedoors.com/strut-bag-kits/front/00-05-ford-focus-front

heres a good rear kit for a focus
http://www.suicidedoors.com/strut-bag-kits/rear/00-05-ford-focus-rear

and heres the entire kit with everything you will need to do the install.
http://www.suicidedoors.com/strut-bag-kits/combo-kits/00-04-ford-focus-combo-kit

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
^^^ lol my brother buys stuff from them all the time. its a great company , but i will stand by what i said. heres somthing to think about how many race cars out there are running a airbag system? and how many places are able to do work on one of these systems if you have a line blow out? from what ive seen there is not to many out there that could do the work and do it right.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
^^^ lol my brother buys stuff from them all the time. its a great company , but i will stand by what i said. heres somthing to think about how many race cars out there are running a airbag system? and how many places are able to do work on one of these systems if you have a line blow out? from what ive seen there is not to many out there that could do the work and do it right.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0603phr_chevrolet_camaro_air_ride_shockwave_install/index.html

Also if you are installing your own system, then you should be able to do repairs on your own pretty easily.

Most of the people use braided lines to prevent blow outs, but also carry a small supply of spare parts for the IF/WHEN happens.

If I had the cash, I would already have my car on bags.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
i would have my car on bags to if i had the money. There are tones of places in my area that deal with bags and i also have friends who used to have bags on there truck til they sold the truck. I seen a dodge neon around my area with bags and it looks sick

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
cost???? if you are looking at getting better handling then why would you have a suspention system on your car that cost a grand and possable more when you can get the same effect with a ffpr kit or any other kit for , well alot less then bags. now if your going with looks then hell go get bagged. the person that started this thread has not chimmed in yet, i want to know why he want this. if its for looks or performance.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
I'd do it for a combination of looks and performance.

I am the lowest I can go and still make the curb into my garage. That is only a 1.5" drop, if I had bags, I could raise up to get in and out of said places.

Also the performance is amazing if you buy a quality kit. Coil overs are also an option, but they do not offer in the car adjust ability in height.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol. i just want looks. foci ain't now 10sec car(i would love a sec car thou) i just want it too look nice. and i think bagged would be pretty cool too. i don't think there are any shops around me that do that kinda work lol....do the kits break that much? how much work would there be invovled in doing this maintce wise. as of right now i am running a roush stage 2 setup. but i rubbed the crap outta my rear tires when ppl sat in the back.i figured with bags i could raise the rear and not rub any.i just want to know could i run a air baged car all year long?

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
if ur going for looks then i would say bags but if u want performance then just lowering springs and whatever else. i would totally do bags on the fact that my car is slow causes it a SPI so i know there aint no performance in that

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
heres my truck, it was bagged with firestone 2500's up front and 2600's out back with a kp components cantilever 6 link with panhard, djm upper and lower control arms with moog balljoints, an oasis hp1000 compressor with stainless 3/8" hardline. it was stock floor body dropped 3 & 1/4 inches to the rockers and had a stock floor on the bed as well. the bed was fully sheetmetaled smooth and i had 2 5 gallon stainless steel 4 port tanks with a square d adjustable pressure switch and 8 3/8" o.d.e. valves. i had it since new in 2000, i bagged it in 2001 and with regular mantenence i had very little problems out of it. the rear bags are nearly 8 years old today with no problems. the front bags were replaced only after i replaced the stock control arms with the djms and the swaybar endlinks poked the bags when aired out. after i fixed that, no more problems.

it handled great and rode better than a cadillac. i sold it in august. theres absoloutly nothing wrong with air. the reason you dont see it on race cars is because its expensive and for what they are doing its impracticle. they dont need to raise or lower their suspension so a set height suspension is sufficient. for a car thats about show and fun theres nothing else like it. my truck got more looks than any car ive ever been in. everyone loved watching it hop and drag and if you like attention then air is deffinetly for you. if done correctly with good stuff its relatively low mantenence and trouble free for years.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
soo i would have to buy all that stuff in order for it work right then?? man thats gonna cost a lot more than i thought lol..... i know the air would be fun..thats why i was looking into it.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
You need about 4 grand worth of money to do it "Right".

Right is based on very low maintenance, and durable for all seasons.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Qoute gonzorelic
the reason you dont see it on race cars is because its expensive and for what they are doing its impracticle. they dont need to raise or lower their suspension so a set height suspension is sufficient.

i rest my case. when i think of a focus i would think of auto x or rally, but i always forget there are other people out there that do other things to the focus . the price alone for a good air ride system is too much $$$ for me.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Qoute gonzorelic
the reason you dont see it on race cars is because its expensive and for what they are doing its impracticle. they dont need to raise or lower their suspension so a set height suspension is sufficient.

i rest my case. when i think of a focus i would think of auto x or rally, but i always forget there are other people out there that do other things to the focus . the price alone for a good air ride system is too much $$$ for me.
You are thinking race car. But people race and DD their focus. So air and coilovers are excellent options for the multipurpose car. If only both were not super expensive to install.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
my car is a dd! like i said if air ride or coilovers were cheaper im might do it . but now im thinking, springs and shocks you can get matched pairs so each side is the same and everything matches. can tyou make sure that air is going to be the same at all times

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
Yes you can, that is how you control the height, and everything.

You have digital controls that monitor everything, and you can adjust it all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW....well it looks like i won't be doing this super fun mod:( maybe one day i will be able to put 4k into a nice airbag set up...maybe i'll do it when i get either my audi a4 or gti...maybe

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
why do you need 4 grand? to do a focus right you can buy the complete kit for $2700.

Kit Includes:

- 2 Front 9-way dampening Air Struts
- 2 Rear control arms, 1/2" ported air sleeves and upper brackets
- 8 of our 3/8" exclusive chrome 300 PSI Valves
- Viair 380C Chrome Compressor
- 5 Gallon D.O.T. Approved Air Tank with 8 1/2" Ports
- 2 200 PSI Dual Needle Gauges with Chrome Bezels
- 40' of 1/2" D.O.T. Approved Air Line
- Nickel plated D.O.T. push to connect fittings
- 145-175 PSI Pressure Switch
- 4 Switches
- 50' of 1/4" D.O.T. Approved Air Line for your Gauges
- 90' of 16 Gauge Wire for Proper Valve Connections
- Detailed Installation Manual
- Toll Free Technical Support
- 1 Year Warranty against Manufacture Defects

We guarantee you won't find a more complete system for your ride!

Drop Specs:
Front: 4"
Rear: 4"

this kit comes with everything including fittings. compressor, tank, 8 valves, 4 switches, control arms, bags, struts, gauges, 90 feet of wire, airline, the works. this kit could be installed with hand tools in a garage in a weekend. theres no fabricating or welding required.

http://www.suicidedoors.com/strut-bag-kits/combo-kits/00-04-ford-focus-combo-kit

·
Registered
109 Posts
srry to bring an old thread back to life

Qoute gonzorelic

air suspension has been proven to actually cut your time lap time down by secs so to say its not good for performance then your sadly mistaken....

www.airride.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts