Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
i am looking at putting a new intake into my car, but i am confused as to something. Ok... i know where the airbox is... i took off that resonator thing. Now... Where does the air go into that box? I saw no holes, no vents, nothing, just a plastic box. Where does the air come from?
Does it come form the snorkel type intake looking thing at the from of the engine compartment? If so, what happens to that peice when you put in an aftermarket intake?
Also, if that IS the intake... wouldnt that be a HELL of a lot more air than the aem INcompartment intake?

I am new to the modding scene, so sorry for stupid questions.
~Josh

·
Registered
296 Posts
well im in the same process now. the air comes into the stock airbox from the scoop at the front of the hood thru the plastic pipe and into the box from underneath. actually as far as the cai or short ram goes the big difference is the less restrictive filter. you can also set up homemade scoops and ducting to bring more, cooler air in to the ram air filter. i hear that the cai is actually better but i live in MI and am worried bout water intake. also from what iv read dont use AEM if u plan on eventually going w a larger MAF as the AEM wont use whole MAF. I was thinking bout goin w the MAC short ram system.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
There are a couple kinds of CAIs. The AEM relocates the filter down towards the bottom of the car. Puddles bad for this. The Iceman uses the stock airbox with a less restrictive intake snorkel, straighter piping to the TB and a resonator duct tube. There is also the Volant, and FC one.

Short rams like the Steeda, MAC, and AEM SR, don't have the protection from the heat under the hood like the others. I had the Iceman and loved it for its quietness and performance. Plus, if you get the black one, it looks stock under the hood.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
your talking about the resonator box. that doesnt draw any air in. its there to keep noise down.

in the stock set up, all the air going into it comes from the snorkel, its the only source of air. the panel filters are more restrictive than any quality cone filter. check out the intake thread sticky for more info or use a search eh

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
hey man just noticed your in colorado :) i am out in se aurora. i have a lot of friends with foci out here. if u ever want to come out and BS with us lmk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts