Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a thermostat in my 09 focus. The old one was stuck wide open. After replacing the thermostat and filling with coolant, I had no heat in the cab. I felt the heater hoses going into cab to the heater core, and they were both ice cold. After squeezing these hoses I got the inlet hose hot, but the outlet hose is still cold. When I take the car down the road, I have good heat out of the vents, but as soon as I hit a red light and the car idles after about 10 seconds the heat goes away[?|]. Any thoughts? Air in the heater core? Or does it sound like it's plugged. Please help! Thanks in advance

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If you had heat before & all you did was replace the t-stat, then you have air in the system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I didn't have any heat before because the thermostat was stuck open. I'm not sure if the engine running cold could of gummed up the coolant and clogged the heater core, I just pulled the outlet hose off of the heater core and no coolant came out. Nothing from the heater core or from the engine side? Any thoughts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd start checking all the hoses making sure they aren't clogged up, look at the hose from the t-stat & work from there.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Good luck, take your time & I'm sure you'll find it. A saturday morning project. I'd also use the ford gold coolant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so today I completely drained my cooling system. Flushed out the heater core with a garden hose both ways. was hard to tell if any crap came out, but water was flowing good through the core when I was done. I flushed the engine out with the water and it seemed to,flow freely through the whole engine. Pulled the coolant resevior off and drained it, I found about a inch of yellow sludge on the bottom of the resevior. Cleaned that out and filled it up with brand new 50/50 coolant. Started it up and I have the same problem. The heater core inlet hose warms up with the engine, but the outlet hose stays cool and there is no heat in the cab. I'm so fed up im about ready to take it somewhere. Any ideas?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Go buy a spill free funnel and "burp" the cooling system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a spill free funnel when I filled it and let it run up to temperature with the funnel filled up about halfway. No more bubbles were coming out of the system, is there a bleed screw on these engines to get air out of the cooling system?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My other question would be, does the blend door keep coolant from flowing through the heater core? I don think it should but I could be wrong. Maybe it is not operating correctly

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Blend door is for airflow in the HVAC unit only, no connection to coolant flow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok problem solved. After the coolant flush I took the outlet hose from the heater core, and stuck a radiator hose pick under the hose to let any air out, started it up (with the pick still under hose) and coolant started pushing out. So i shut the car off jacked up the front end, and let it sit overnight. Checked on it the next morning and sure enough, the coolant level had dropped in the resevior about 1quart. Topped it off and it has been good ever since. ��I hope this thread will help someone else in the same situation.��

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx for posting your solution.

Edited the title to show you found a solution. (for future reference)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Ok problem solved. After the coolant flush I took the outlet hose from the heater core, and stuck a radiator hose pick under the hose to let any air out, started it up (with the pick still under hose) and coolant started pushing out. So i shut the car off jacked up the front end, and let it sit overnight. Checked on it the next morning and sure enough, the coolant level had dropped in the resevior about 1quart. Topped it off and it has been good ever since. ��I hope this thread will help someone else in the same situation.��
Great you found & fixed your problem,,,,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts