Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hooked up my air fuel gaugue today and it looks like a light show going back and forth. i connected it to the black wire coming off of the o2 before the cat. did i connected it to the wrong wire or is this has it is alway going to be

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have an a/f gauge as well. I actually hooked mine up through my interior o2 sensor, and mine is like a light show at times. At wide-open-throttle, it goes to rich, and when I coast to a stop in neutral, it goes to lean, but when I'm driving just regular, it's back and forth.

I don't have the wideband tho, atleast I don't think so. Mine is made by FAZE

Here's a pic of mine

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
yeah thats what a narrowband will do, its only kind or useful for figuring out where youre at when running WOT

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Yup...A/F gauges are just a light show without a wideband O2, and even at WOT I'd take what it tells you with a grain of salt.

Oh, and you won't have a wideband unless you installed it. Kind of a waste IMO, given how expensive a good wideband O2 sensor is...unless you're able to change your fuel curves with a flasher or are running FI, knowing what your ratio is is pretty much useless.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree, it pretty much is useless. But, after I got my new alternator put in, I wanted a voltmeter gauge, and I got a hella cheap deal on a A-piller dual gauge pod, so I bought the voltmeter gauge, along with something else - a/f

Here's a short clip of my a/f gauge. Like I said, it moves back-n-forth like that all the time.
I with I would've installed the dimmer switch, it's extremely bright at night...or just got the wideband right away :p

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=60225&cdate=20050108&ctime=081024

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Yeah, hate to say it, but they are mostly useless. A wideband , like an LM-1, can be a good tuning tool. But you are looking at $300 or so. The ones like you have aren't worth much other than a show.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah, no problem about the clip.

And yes, I know that, that type of a/f gauge is pretty much useless. It helped me out tho when my car was misfiring, I was running totally lean...but I couldn't figured that out, with/without the gauge lol.

Anyways, like I said, I got a cheap deal on a dual a-piller gauge pod, and I wanted the volts gauge after my new alternator went in, so I just had to put something else in there that looked aight :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts