Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fistpumping = 5whp
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I am trying to add more HP to my stock Zetec, I just bought a SVT header. With that comes options, do I go with an ORP, or HFC? Looking at a Roush dyno chart, Legal exhaust had higher gains, whereas offroad had slightly higher than stock.

Also, I have a magnaflow muffler, and I plan to re-use that along with a 2.5" from either the Cat or ORP back.

I need to know what will give me more HP in the end after exhaust and intake.
On a side note, I'm trying to avoid my car sounding like a Chainsaw above 4500RPM, I love how it sounds now with the magnaflow on there, but it's just really quiet.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
The ORP will be much louder, but will give you better gains. do you have to stay emissions legal?

·
Fistpumping = 5whp
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, Just like when I lived in lansing and Grand Rapids.... No smog tests down here either.
I was thinking that if I do the ORP im going to get the magnaflow resinator.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
The HFC is a restriction. the orp is better, and yes, definitely get a magniflow resinator!!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Nope, Just like when I lived in lansing and Grand Rapids.... No smog tests down here either.
I was thinking that if I do the ORP im going to get the magnaflow resinator.

The emissions laws are actually Federal, meaning that even if testing isn't taking place it's still a crime, FYI.

Honestly get the cat. I have one on my car and noticed no difference in power. and the little you may gain by not having one is negligible. High HP/forced induction you may notice, but N/A I highly doubt it, assuming the cat is sized properly.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I'm agreeing with iminhell. Stay legal, and do it right the first time IMO. Because if you do get busted somehow, it's money you have to pay for the ticket, plus to get it fixed with a cat.

·
Fistpumping = 5whp
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

A turbo is a long ways down the road. I'm trying to get all that I can out of my motor. All the people that I drive around with, have 2-3 times my HP or have the SVT and just wipe the floor with the 100hp im getting to the ground. The stock Manifold and exhaust is tiny and restrictive. The stock Air box is just that. This winter I'm trying to get some gains from a SRI or K&N intake, and a less restrictive exhaust.

Anything else I can do to get me around 50 HP more than stock? Without having my car down and out for more than a weekend.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
not really, you will need all boltons obviously, but the restriction comes in the head. you need to get urself a good FR head w/ a really good set of cams and mill the head to get higher compression. you can gain 50 whp over stock that way, but its cheaper to go turbo/SC!!!

·
Fistpumping = 5whp
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I go Turbo wouldn't I need the head and cams anyways along with fuel injectors?

There is always the NX wet kit for a little 50-75 shot.

But that isn't really what I am trying to do right away. I just need better airflow for the motor without milling or replacing my head. With better exhaust and TB+intake im looking at a Hp gain of what? 15-20? So, i'm guessing without major work, i'm not going to get a whole lot out of my motor. (sad face)

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
You do not need to replace the head/cams for boost. and ya, some people have touched 130 whp w/ just boltons, but thats about it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You do not need to replace the head/cams for boost. and ya, some people have touched 135 whp w/ just boltons, but thats about it.

*fix'd, I'm @ 135 with bolt on's, stock cams and a high flow cat (oh and 147,000 miles).

Thing you'll have to remember/consider is that for N/A higher compression is good, for forced induction it can be a bad thing. So milling the head might not be the best way to spend money if you plan on doing F/I after N/A.

Best advice is set a goal and buy/save for that goal. If something intended for N/A works for F/I go for it, but things like CAI/SRI may not be the best purchase. You may also want to browse the classifieds to get a ball park of what unusable parts sell for so you may have a rough idea of the money you can recoup.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
i vote ORP, but you'll definately want a resonator (or two).
my ZX3 has the SVT header/ORP/SVT flex. my cat back has two resonators and a Bosal muffler. it is nice and mellow, no rasp at all.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
haha, thanx john, lol, eh, i was close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts