Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.3 duratec 2003 ztw auto

whut happens if you take of the restrictive factory air filter and install a cone filter right underneath the maf piece?

works good but might not be if it rains.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If you do this you lose the cold air and ram air effect from the stock location.

You should buy a real intake that way you can see some performance increase.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it stock up on top. But i took out the screen and plastic pcs. I removed only the stock filter and cover on bottom. The duck for the fresh air is still on.

I am thinking to add a short L tube and use the stock air filter cover to protect the cone from water and will let cold air in from stock air duct.

How bout that idea?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Your biggest issue is going to be turbulance. It doesn't seem that you will get a smooth laminar flow, and the MAF sensor won't get an accurate reading. Just my armchair engineering guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the advice all,

It worked good with the cone but It just did not feel right , I only had it on for one day hopefully no damage was done:)

I went ahead and purchased the focus sport intake today. What a difference it makes.
I love that deep tuned sound it produces. Hopefully the dealer won't cry about it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
any idea about the volant making the dealers pissy. Is it stock enough to pass. I know the ICE MAN goes through alot, I guess that it would, it uses alot of the factory stuff from what I understand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, supposely according to some certain laws i should be ok with just the intake.
But, I can always put the stock back on (that way i can clean it up double check tightness) Man, Im gonna be a pro duractec filter install dude now haha. But those stock deals are installed to be there for sometime meaning its no easy task at first but no prob for a good mechanic such as myself haha. So what you say about that?

Question of the day
What if someone just made a version of the stock air filter box with a better flowing filter, smaller, lighter and better service access?
Looks stock from the outside but free flowing in the inside:)

My motto is
If your intake is stock untouched leave it alone
If you already took it somewhat apart and tinkering with it then go hp cold air

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good luck with the duratec install/deinstall. Just buy a CAI. The MAF won't care whats attached, just so long as its reading something. However, just adding a cone filter will put the filter in the wrong position (taking all the water in on a rainy day) instead of being up under the front bumper.
I just survived one of SoCals meanest January days with no water problems from the FocusSport CAI.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, thats why I purchased the focus-sport CAI

Also thinking of using the factory filter box cover to protect it further while cold air coming from front bumper.

I installed the cone yesterday then it started raining pretty hard so I didnt drive it until today in sunny weather to pick up the FS CAI. Thats how little I drove it:) Then when installed it when I got home and I hope disconnection of battery for 25min did the trick.

I better stop before I get kicked to another post lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
go with marcy motor sports intake it uses a K&N filer bam

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I use the ITG triple foam filter you know the ones they use in F-1 cars?
K&N better then that?
I was thinking to switch to K&N for more restriction this ITG has way too much air[:)]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Starting Feb 9th, Marcy is running a special on their CAI. It will still be the same price, $159.00, but free shipping and no sales tax for the CA residents. (residents of other states don't pay the sales tax anyway via internet orders since Marcy is in CA)

·
Registered
65 Posts
get the marcy with the K&N filter...i got mine just the other day...and man i can feel the increase in power....it not like i put a super charger in but you can feel the difference...and lastly my car dosen't sound like a fahQing RICE ROCKET....its sounds beefy...it's GREAT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts