Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ownz zee 2006 Focux ZX3 DURATEX and someone on these boards told me that to be able to replace my air filter, I'd have to go to dealer. is this true? I've checked K&N website and they show to have 2006 focus zx3 airfilters available - so it must be replacable then?

what's up with this bollocks?
can i not replace my filter? isn't that my right?

·
Registered
620 Posts
All the Foci with Duratecs have a sealed air filter housing. Not one of the brightest ideas that ever came from Detroit. It's supposed to help with the emmisions. Several people here have put a cone filter at the end of the MAF tube.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The OEM air filter is a new design which is expected to last about 150,000 miles, and filter better over this time than paper filters replaced many times. It would have been much, much cheaper for Ford to have stayed with the traditional paper filter, but they have gone with the extra cost to reduce maintenance requirements and reduce long-term engine wear through better filtering.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-14-2001/0001447639&EDATE=

I posted a message earlier which has a link to the detailed SAE paper which discussed the system. A message search should find it if you are interested in the details and research that went into it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's interesting..

Still though, 150K miles on any kind of air filter doesn't sound like such a hot idea. Replacing an air filter used to be pretty much the simplest thing to do on a car.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Still though, 150K miles on any kind of air filter doesn't sound like such a hot ide"

Well, you have to sort of open your mind up to the technology involved. Dirty air filters actually filter better, the only problem is if they are so dirty that they cause a flow restriction. The filter on new Focuses has an indicator which allows you to see if the flow is being restricted. With the paper filters you just guess, more or less, and tend to replace it a mileage intervals which, under average conditions, should be about right. Check out the white paper that Visteon published as it is rather interesting how the filtering efficiency is affected by multiple replacements of filters, vs. the "better filter with greater capacity and no replacement" approach.

Of course, if you are pumping the engine HP up with mods, this is probably not the right approach... but for stock usage, I have been convince it is probably the way to go due to the improved filtering.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyway, I want K&N and I believe that new filter is much better than the new one...you feel better that you replaced the filter, and the car feels better...nothing can beat your own satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I believe that new filter is much better than the new one..."

Well, believe what you wish and do what makes you happy, but the facts and data say otherwise. If it makes you feel good, then why not, it won't cut the life of the engine by very much at all and you'll be happier.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
penguin said:
"I believe that new filter is much better than the new one..."

Well, believe what you wish and do what makes you happy, but the facts and data say otherwise. If it makes you feel good, then why not, it won't cut the life of the engine by very much at all and you'll be happier.
that what I was trying to say. I feel better knowing that I have a new filter in...I mean, don't we all?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
YOU CANNOT JUST PUT A NEW AIRFILTER ON......

just get a cone filter and a silcone hose peice and add it to your MAF tube. or just get a cold air. Marcey Motorsports has them for like 170.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What he said. For $25.00 you can get the "Stealth CAI".
Check out the how-to's or my signature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts