Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 MK3 and I live in the High Desert in California. I changed the air filter a little over 10 months ago and have driven approximately 7200 miles since then.
There is a lot of dirt and wind up here so I thought I'd check the air filter; I even bought a new one because I figured I'd probably need it.
When I unscrewed the four screws, pulled off the top cover, what I saw was what looked like a brand new filter right out of the box. No dirt, no dust; nothing, just a pristine motorcraft air filter. I checked everything to make sure it had been seated properly and it was. My question is this; am I overlooking something that would account for a filter that looks like no air has gone through it?? I'm serious, it looks just like the new one I just bought.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have never had a filter that looked dirty after that short a time..even after 20-30K, they still look pretty new.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup, I rarely change filters. They seem to last impossibly long before even looking remotely dirty. I have a K&N now and I'll probably clean it once a year, and I doubt it'll need it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
^^^K&N recommends cleaning every 50K..don't do it more than it calls for. I checked mine at 25K per their recommendation and it still looked pretty clean. Almost to 50K and ready to do the clean/re-oil.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Did you pull the filter out and look at the bottom side?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Even paper filters get more efficient with a light coating of dirt. The airbox is designed to make large particles drop out of suspension .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also consider that the air intake is up inside the fender in an area where big chunks and quantities of dirt etc are unlikely to find their way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts