Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am terrible at searching, and my searches don't seem to come up with information about this.

How do I replace the engine air filter on my 2005 Focus ZXW? This is the model with the "lifetime" engine air filter. According to my "Maintenance Schedule" booklet that comes with the car, the lifetime air filter should be replaced at 90,000 miles (odd for a lifetime filter!). The car has 92,000 miles on it. According to the owner's manual, the filter should just be "checked" by a "technician". According to the air filter flow indicator thingy on the side of the air intake, the air flow is fine -- which normally would be great, except that in the 90,000+ miles we have owned the car, that indicator has not moved one iota as far as I can tell.

I would like to replace the engine air filter. Does someone have a website link that I can look over before I dive into the engine?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
As I understand it from other FF and FJ members, and from my own experience, there is no access to the filter element without cutting open the "box" to which the indicator is attached. I have heard cost estimates as high as $300 to have the filter box replaced at a Ford Dealer. It isn't difficult to remove and replace the box, so, if you want a factory replacement, I would recommend contacting Steve @ Tousley Ford, a sponsor on FJ, or the folks @ Hilbish Ford who (used to be a?) sponsor here on FF for the best price.
What many members have done, however, is to buy or make a simpler type of filter with a reusable cone filter. Many of the sponsors sell them. I have a Steeda short ram setup, it has worked fine for over 50K miles, and servicing it is much simpler than replacing the factory box. Good luck.

·
Registered
318 Posts
and if you buy an aftermarket intake you get better gas mileage and a bit more ponies andd it can acctually be cheaper then paying 300 for the crappy foam filter thingy. I acctually have it and I would sell it for 75 plus shipping and it has less then 30k miles on it. But I strongly recommened searching up stealth cold air intake (cai) very popular mod profitable and easy and simple. Not to mention cheap.

·
Registered
2004 Focus ZTW
60 Posts
Stealth CAI installed - NOW getting P0128 code!

Has anyone gotten a P0128 engine code after installing the Stealth CAI (mounting a 3" cone filter at the end of the MAF tube) on a Z series PTEV 2.3L engine (MY 2004)? I'm guessing that the first cold day tripped the IAT sensor and caused this code to light the "Check Engine" icon.

Is there anything I can do/install to keep this from happening?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

[???:)]

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Evil coincidence, probably, unless you've dislodged a wiring connector accidentally. (Not sure where the temp sensor is on your engine.)

P0128 Coolant Thermostat Malfunction
The engine coolant temperature does not reach the specified temperature even though the engine has been run for a sufficient amount of time.
Causes:
Low engine coolant level
Leaking or stuck open thermostat
Engine coolant temperature sensor harness is open or shorted
Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty engine coolant temperature sensor

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Other than start your own thread? Listing YOUR problem?

Next obvious thought.... what does the temp. gauge read?, is the coolant full? etc..

·
Registered
2004 Focus ZTW
60 Posts
Coolant is recently changed and full at correct concentration and the temp gauge is reading fine as is the start up temp and arrival of the interior heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts