Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks hopefully somebody can help... i have a 2002 mk1.5 ford focus st170 had the air con regassed last time we had the sun in april now the suns back i came to turn it back on and nooooooo cold air.. air con button light works. ive checked all fuses and under bonnet and swopped one of the relays to check if relay problem but still nothing.. i CANT hear the click noise when i turn air con on.. please dont tell me compressor buggered...... also my electric seat hight button stopped working but don think this related but thought ide better write it just incase... please help before the rain starts[mecry]thanks lee[mecry]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The "Stickie" on A/C issues & service will help you the most, but the first questions NOT answered in your post, are if the fan (interior) is working, and if the fans (engine cooling) behind the radiator are working...

You might have a leak in the system, but I'd want to see if the compressor clutch will engage, the "click" you mentioned....

When you look under the hood at the compressor, the center of the pulley normally doesn't spin - UNTIL you turn the system on, hear the "click", and see the clutch engage making the center spin, powering the A/C system compressor.

It will NOT spin until all the electrical circuits are working properly to tell it it's OK to do so....

Luck!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
P.S. - there are simple tests to see if the clutch is getting power, or if the electrical circuit IN the clutch is OK, but you need an electrical "multimeter" for those tests....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive just ben underneath the car and got my wife to start it... the wheel turns for quick second or 2 when engine is sarted then stops again

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
When the A/C is on "max" (fan in the 4th position) the cooling fans for the radiator SHOULD run, if they don't the A/C will shut off as described....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the A/C is on "max" (fan in the 4th position) the cooling fans for the radiator SHOULD run, if they don't the A/C will shut off as described....
none of the fans spin when the fan switch in position 1 2 3 or 4.... sounds like you know m problem... put me out of my misery

·
Registered
497 Posts
The brief 2 second activation of the compressor is normal. It's a strategy that happens regardless of the position of your A/C switch. The computer does this to allow the compressor to discharge any oil that has drained down overnight and prevents the compressor from hydrolocking.

The fact that your compressor engages tells me the relay, fuse, power wire, field coil and ground are all 100% good.

If the light comes on in the dash, it's very likely the computer sees your request to activate the air conditioning.

Considering you recently had it recharged, I'd suggest you have a leak somewhere and all the refrigerant has since leaked out. The PCM will not engage the compressor if the minimum pressure is too low because the refrigerant acts as a vehicle to carry the lubricating oil. Odds are, if you recharge the system again it will work just fine...but there is still the possibility the charge is good but your pressure sensors are not reading accurately. This could be due to a bad sensor or a wiring issue.

If you DO recharge the system make sure you do NOT use refrigerant that has a leak sealer in it. The leak sealer is snake oil and it will cause more harm than it's intended to fix. Plus, if you have a leak you can expect whatever gas you charge it with to leak out once again.

Cooling fan engagement is related to the PCM activating the compressor, NOT selector switch position.

Cheers from across the pond, good luck!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
System is bloody complicated...

A/C on with fan in 4 is a typical test to see if the fans work, and if they don't (since you mentioned you hadn't seen them turn on) the system won't be 'happy"....

Wife's Honda had the A/C quit last week (didn't notice issues 'till it didn't work at all), Double issue as it turned out, refrigerant somewhat low - but a poor connection at the compressor clutch plug-in was the main issue. THAT is OK in your case, low refrigerant is most likely since you needed some recently (leak needs to be fixed to KEEP it operational)... Just wanted to make sure the electrical basics were working....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts