Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,
I'm driving an 04 ZTS... Today I was installing clear side markers and on the driver's side there is an air box you have to remove inorder to get up behind the bumper. What the hell is this thing for? lol. I just cant figure it. There is a pipe/vent just inside the grill... that leads to this air box... that leads no where. Is just a pipe to a empty pointless box.

Maybe Im wrong. Does anyone know anything more about this? It started to rain and I didnt have time to put it back on. ANY help is greatly apreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah, that would be part of the oem air intake system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But.... What purpose does it serve? What good is air going into a box the size of a small fish tank? It doesn't go anywhere from there. It seems like a huge waste of space to me.

Can anyone go into further detail about this?

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
it is basically a waste of space, and that is why aftermarket air intakes can do so much for our cars. The air filter on our cars is a non serciceable item as well. Our intake is very peculiar in design if you ask me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think its a silencer either... maybe Im wrong. I know its not the air filter. That much I am sure of. The box is shown how to be taken off on this thread. http://www.teamfocus.us/howtoinstallclearcornerlights.htm
They call it an air box... But I swear, it leads to NO WHERE. lol.

I think I need someone with my model to understand. This box seriously is nothing but a box. It does not connect into anything that deals with air intake into my car. My only thought is that it sucks in air while you are driving... and helps keep some engine part cool or something. If it isnt that then I am still stumped.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Where does the air inlet system pick up it's air. Must be close by. My 03 2.3PZEV has the inlet in the grille going to this 'chamber', but has an outlet that comes out, bends upward to the MAF sensor housing, and up. Is your car a PZEV?

·
Registered
534 Posts
The "air box" serves as a splash guard for the air filter assembly in the fender well. If I recall correctly, the air filter has a moisture drain on it's bottom that needs to be kept open. The grill inlet keeps the air box supplied with cool outside air for the air filter to draw on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PDQEagle - Yes, my car is a 2.3L PZEV. I can't find where my air inlet system pick up it's air. I do see that outlet that comes out, bends upward to the MAF sensor housing, and up. But, I dont see any holes in it. Is the "air box" just cooling that tube?

BornAgainFordOwner - Thanks. It makes sense that its there to supply cool air to something. I didn't look that hard, but when I glanced under my car I didnt see the moisture drain. But, It still makes sense that the "air box" is cooling something. There's really nothing else it could do, lol.

You guys have been a bunch of help. Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
The actual air inlet is on the top, towards the back of the air filter assembly just under the headlight lens. Its covered by a rubber cup like umbrella to keep moisture out that enters from around the headlight lense gap. My air filter assembly has a small rubber nipple that is supposed to function as a one way valve if there is positive pressure (read, weight of liquid) inside of the filter.

·
Banned
1 Posts
The small box mount to the left side of the filter box is a tuning chamber. Some may call it a silencer but it's function is to tune the sound of the engine. It cancels out certain frequency based on it's size that were deemed unplesant to the customer's ear and actually can amplify the favourable sounds (frequencies). Has to do with the harmonics of the particular intake track. You may notice some small chambers on zip tubes or plenums of other engines that appear to lead no where same function.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts