Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2006 Focus ses 2 weeks ago or so....under the hood and was looking at the air intake since I had one on my old car. Noticed something odd. By the water evap tank, around2 feet away from the throttle body there is this 3 inch cylinder pertruding out of the box. It is green, red, and yellow with a spring in it. What the hell is that??? I tried checking the forum but had no clue what it is even called before posting.
Thanks
Jeff

PS
The car I had the short air intake on was a 03 hyundai accent manual. City=33mpg, Highway=42mpg. Normal driving city with ocassional flooring, highway was around 75-85MPH. A huge difference from what I was getting with that huge air box. over 10+mpg gain!!! So if you are looking for a car to get amazing gas mileage thats an option for you. I miss that MPG! The focus is worth it.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
That thing is the meter for the 100,000-mile unserviceable air filter. From my understanding, it turns yellow, then red once it gets clogged and needs replacing. Since it's so closed up and all, it should last 100k, unless you live in extremely dusty conditions. The bad news is once it needs replacing, it's in the neighborhood of $300 because you have to buy the whole black plastic setup again.

I'm not sure who has the highest mileage still with that thing on it? A lot of people (myself included) bought a CAI/SRI and swapped it out long before the bulb thing turned red... so, not much help there.

If you want, do a Search in the Duratec section only, either for "lifetime air filter" or "unserviceable air filter", something like that should get you some more info.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
spend a little money and buy a true cold air system, just my opinion though, to each his own.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I POSTED THIS REPLY IN: "Ford Focus Showroom" , ALSO, WHERE ORIGINAL POST WAS.

BlazingCopper, and all,
Thanks for the excellent "how to" install the "Stealth" modifications to the air intake system. I have a filter coming, and will be doing this mod in a week or so. [thumb] [thumb]
I have a question (statement) pertaining to the filter you used. The pictures show a filter that is open ended.

http://www.ineedawebsite.com/Blazin.../CAI/index.html

This poses the question as to how much filtering is really getting done? The location of the filter is in a fairly static environment (no ram), so consequently the air the engine "sucks in" during the intake stroke will come from the path of least resistance, i.e., the open end of the filter, and little or no filtering will take place. Take a vacuum cleaner and stick it into the filter (use a rag or something to seal the smaller vacuum tube to the filter flange), and all the air it "sucks in" will come from the open end of the filter; close off the open end, and the air will come through the filter element, which is what I perceive as the intent. All the systems I have experience with force the air to be ingested through the filter.
I have a filter coming, like I said, but with a closed end.

Any comments, thoughts, anybody. [:D] [:D]

Again thanks for the "how to".

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ruckmn,

Look more closely at Blazin's filter, you can see filter inside of what you are calling the 'open end' this isn't the inside of the other filter, it's a second smaller cone inside the open end.

This type of filter provides a larger filter surface area than a 'closed end' cone filter. There is no unfiltered air getting through it either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Focusnewb,
Yes, you could be / are correct IF the filter is of the Inverted Cone type:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-B-Inverted-Cone-High-Performance-Air-Filter-3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33659QQitemZ8058836273QQrdZ1

Looking at picture 5,

http://www.ineedawebsite.com/BlazingCopperZX3/CAI/index.html

you can see my concern where the filter elements can be seen through the opening, and to ME it is not clear that it is of the Inverted Cone type.

Your eyes better than mine - quite likely [8] [8]

·
Registered
496 Posts
"Focusnewb" is correct.
It has an inverted cone in the "open" end giving more flow than the "closed end" type.

Sorry for the trickery, but I have to keep you guys on your toes.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yeah i've done this too....just be careful of those pesky 'cant see them until you actually turn onto the road' huge puddles.........my car hasnt been 'drivable' for 2 months...damn people take forever fixing stuff

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, just finished installing the "Stealth" mods, with a cone type filter. One observation though, BlazingCopper say in his excellent "how to" install, that a 3 in. flange cone filter will work but the fit is VERY TIGHT. I got a 3 in. flange filter, and different manufactures probably have different thickness flanges; this one was probably 3/16 in. thick. NO way was this going to go on, as it would not stretch at all. [?|] [?|]
I used an X-acto knife, and carved out about half the thickness of the flange to get it on.
OK, having said all this, I highly recommend getting a filter with a 3 1/4 in. flange.[thumb] [thumb]
It is amazing all that tubing and filter housing that gets removed; car is lighter by 4 lbs.,[:D],[:D]
Later,

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the how to just finished my install, was easy and seems to work well. Not sure why anyone would bother with mods on a wagon but to each his own.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Probably for the same reasons you did mods to yours; why else would one make mods to any engine. [thumb] [thumb] [driving]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
wow i always wondered what that little meter thing was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts