1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I have a fault with my air blower, It only works on position 4,
position 1,2 and 3 does not work. I read somewhere that there could be
a fault with the thermal fuse on or in the blower motor.

Can anyone help me locate the thermal fuse!! I have opened the glove
box and i can see the blower motor but where do i look from there. Hope someone knows because its driving me mad

Thanks

[?|]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
read the other 5 "a/c blower" subjects on this page. the answer you need is located in at least 4 of them

Edit... ok I was being a 'search nazi' there... here's the pic you need. BTW the part that is bad on your car is commonly called the 'blower motor resistor'

Sting2324 said:
After doing some searching, I found this write up done by, ModemJunki where the OP had the problem with 1-3 not working and after it was replaced, it fixed his problem.

It's easier than it looks on paper. I removed and replaced it in <5 minutes. My resistor pack is bright Ford blue.

You will need:
A. The new resistor pack.
B. An 8mm socket and suitable handle (one of those flexible ones did the trick).
C. A flashlight.
D. Opposable thumbs (should be standard issue on the higher primates).

Step by step:
1. Open the glovebox, and empty it.
2. Squeeze the sides of the glovebox and drop it down.
3. Squeeze the tab on the connector to the resistor pack (hidden in the pic below, it's on the left).
4. Remove the 8mm hex-head screw holding the resistor pack. Once loosened, it can be unscrewed by hand (don't drop the screw!).
5. Lift the resistor pack from the bottom, it swings up and out.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't overtighten that screw!
Let us know if this fixes your Focus!

I managed to get this part taken out. It could be a PITA to get to if you don't have the required parts. I personally used an 8inch extension, and a philps screwdriver bit to remove that single screw. That blue part came off rather easier and upon looking at mine it appears to have a silver..burnt effect on the side that you see in the above picture. I called Ford to order a replacement, but they closed at noon today and don't open until 8AM on Monday. It's also a fairly inexpensive part..$10-$20

---Randy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Focus Fanatics ROCKS!!!

Excellent set of directions and photo, I just did the fix, Randy's directions are great but I would make a couple of changes. New part cost me $23cdn before tax, is black and German made... guy at Ford didn't even let me finish explaining before he went and got the part, apparently a VERY common problem!

1. If doing outside in daylight no flashlight needed, it's easily visible.
2. Mine was a phillips head screw not a hex head.
3. DON'T empty the glove box... when you squeeze the sides and drop the box down it empties automatically in the footwell. Who knew my fiancé had so many 'emergency' tampons in there!!!
4. Undo the screw first and then once the part is free remove the plug, saves fighting with it.

That's all, an easy fix

Thanks to everyone that posted about it!

Simon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Focus Fanatics ROCKS!!!

Excellent set of directions and photo, I just did the fix, Randy's directions are great but I would make a couple of changes. New part cost me $23cdn before tax, is black and German made... guy at Ford didn't even let me finish explaining before he went and got the part, apparently a VERY common problem!

1. If doing outside in daylight no flashlight needed, it's easily visible.
2. Mine was a phillips head screw not a hex head.
3. DON'T empty the glove box... when you squeeze the sides and drop the box down it empties automatically in the footwell. Who knew my fiancé had so many 'emergency' tampons in there!!!
4. Undo the screw first and then once the part is free remove the plug, saves fighting with it.

That's all, an easy fix

Thanks to everyone that posted about it!

Simon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much guys, with the little heat wave were having in england at the moment i need to fix it ASAP !!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just fixed mine too! i admit, i am a girly girl and if i can do it, anybody can! my replacement part was black as well. i must say, the hardest part was getting that screw undone. mine was a phillips screw as well. it was a tight squeeze getting the screwdriver in with my hand. but it only took me about ten minutes. my part came to under 15 bucke with tax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts