Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 focus and my air bag light came on the other day and I’m not sure why. Anyone run into this issue before and what did you change to fix it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get access to a code reader. Pull the code. That will get you going in a more specific direction to research/resolve your problem.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
942 Posts
Does the light blink on start up? That is the code. If you have junk under the seat, it is easy to damage the wires to the seat sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The light does not flash at all and I keep my car very clean so there should be no damage to wires under the seat.
I can’t find anyone that has a code reader for the airbag system, not even the dealer has one.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
The clockspring is a common cause and more if horn or cruise control is acting up.

If one of the cars with a pass side bag on/off switch then sometimes those circuit boards had issues to act up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2005 focus and my air bag light came on the other day and I’m not sure why. Anyone run into this issue before and what did you change to fix it?
The airbag wiring harness connector has corroded where it plugs into the clock spring. You will need to pull the airbag off and put Dielectric grease in the connection. If you look on YouTube it gives you specific instructions on how to do this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine went, started off flaky when I turned the wheel. Most probably the clockspring, but I sold it instead of tearing it apart.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Pretty sure airbag cable pins and such are stainless or other (silver) to prevent corrosion as they are safety mission critical parts. They ARE very picky about how they contact though. Usually the fixture there contacts at least twice to stop problems.

·
So mote be it
8,889 Posts
MY '07 did the same and the dielectric at the airbag/clockspring connection was the fix. Remember to respect the air bag if you are fixing this yourself. Disconnect the battery and discharge (honk horn/turn on lights) then after pulling the airbag, keep it on the ground facing up (this will keep the bag from launching itself into space if it does go off)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts