Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having some serious issues with night driving guys...my zx3 is blacked out and i know it can be really difficult to see at night...plus drivers here suck...there's been more than one occasion where someone has come close to clipping me on the highway and since foci horns suck butt honking doesn't help at all (I can barely hear mine when i'm in the car!)...instead of doing a complicated horn swap I'm looking at getting some brighter aftermarket bulbs...i've noticed using my fogs helps increase visibility a lot but I don't like driving with em on all the time

What would be my best option for brighter lights (i'm hoping will equal greater visibility for myself and by others since they'll light up more of the road) while not being blinding to other drivers...i hate when acura TL's drive behind me with their piercing headlights...what are your opinions on Sylvania Cool-Blue? (couldn't find much about them in the search)...I've been hearing bad things about Silverstar lifetime so i'd like to stray away from those...and something DOT approved cause i can't afford any fix-it tickets. Any help will be much appreciated!!!

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
HID would be the brightest, but as for just a swapout bulb silverstars would be the best, they are brighter than the cool-blue but more expensive, i think cool-blue are about $20 silverstars are around $40 and the cheapest ive seen HID is around $60-70 and they have to be wired differentley, the options are endless when it comes to this....

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
qbert42....those Hoens arent brighter than stock, only different color. my suggestion for brighter lights is to definetly go with Sylvania Silverstars. i put them in my mustang and it is a huge difference. and i have headlight covers on mine as well. i have the OEM HID's in my SVT, so im not worried with that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ooh man don't get me started on that POS horn...I think if i tried i could wire up some airhorns but i'd rather not go thru all the trouble...thanks for the suggestions and it seems like silverstars are the way to go in my search for a plugnplay alternative...as soon as i see them on sale i'll pick up a pair and let you guys know how it goes!

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
walmart will be the cheapest place to find them

·
Registered
277 Posts
When you are installing the bulbs make sure you DON"T touch the glass. They last a lot longer if you don't get skin oils on them. I've had mine for a little over a year and a half. Still glowin strong.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
I had a problem with the driver's side Silverstar bulb blowing out every three months. I'm probably going to switch to Hella front bulbs pretty soon since my rears are so bright. When I hit the brakes it illuminates the whole interior of the car behind me. [:D]
I don't know much about headlights, but the H4's on the focus seem kinda weak.

·
Registered
272 Posts
GE Nighthawks are also good, and less expensive than Silverstars. The Cool Blues are useless IMO. I tried them and other than changing the colour, they were less bright than the stock bulbs they replaced. There's a good write up on http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ about diffent bulbs. If you have clean cotton or latex gloves use them when you swap the bulbs; the oils on our skin will cause the bulbs to burn out prematurely. The horn swap isn't a big deal; www.batinc.net had a set on sale for $12; dual tone and easy install.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I also recommend silverstars. I have some in my focus, and my headlights are very bright, and the light throw on them is perfect. Like someone else said tho, make sure you dont touch the glass of the bulb, and they should last a good long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts