Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALRIGHT....

I JUST SPENT 500 on the Cossie header and flex pipe.
I have:

FS cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust..probably 2.25 or 2.5".

WILL THIS DECREASE THE POWER MY CAR IS MAKING?!!?!

I have gotten probably 20 different answers varying from "go for it!!!! You will lose 5 ft/lbs torque but gain 20 hp to the wheels" to "even with mild cams you will lose power"

I really hope somebody with factual knowledge chimes in so that I'm not out big money on a big item.

Please help...please![?|]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
yes, the primaries are way to large until you are really pushing air in and out.

and it will be LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Typically lowered backpressure (by removing that cat) will lessen the low end torque of an engine because of the reduced cylinder pressure. However, the power is made up in the high RPMs. My D20 makes poo for above 6K power so I'm not all that interested in reducing the amazing low end.

Where do you like your power?

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm...so far not a great start for me. I like low end torque but I'm willing to settle for a little bit less torque if I can have (a bigger gain) of power above 5500 RPMs.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
ok I know that you probably think I am crazy but I felt bad.

I actually went to the DEALER where I take my car and told him about the header and come to find out he has a D20 himself....[:)]

He told me that you will for sure lose low end power but nothing drastic but the gains that you are going to be seeing from about 3500 RPM's to about 6500 RPM's will put one of the biggest smiles on your face.

He loves my car and one of the only techs that touch my car... and I trust him... I hoped that helped.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sharon!!! Once again you kick some ass! So far that's:

Bad:

Good:

I'm right where I was...but I know sharon is the shiznit so I trust her...so that makes it more like

Bad:

Good:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have a d20...it loves the cossie header...it revs freely to redline and pulls hard to 6500rpm. Short of the loudness, you will love it. You have a d23 so anything you might lose on the low end will be less than I did, cause you have the torquier engine. I would say the primaries are just right. Not so big that it really matters.

the cossie header is a 2.5in collector and flexpipe, but it will mate up to 2.25in exhaust. I think magnaflow sells 2.25in. The loss between 2.25 and 2.5 will be negligible at these power levels. It will be loud, just go light on the throttle around police or anyone that will care. You will have a CEL cause the cossie header doesn't have two o2 sensor bungs. I just disconnected the second o2 sensor from the wiring harness and used the extension they provide to hook up the second one.

The way to get rid of the code is to get a tune for it, say from FocusSport as I did. The tune, header, intake, and exhaust properly driven with a 5 speed should be a 14second car of some kind...

Just some advice: you will need a 15mm ratchet and open ended wrench to install it and to tighten later. You might have to take your fuel stuff off the firewall (just unbolt it) temporarily to get the stuff in and out. You don't have to disconnect it. It is just a tight fit. The bottom mount for the header might be a pain to get the 10mm bolts back in. If so, you slightly smaller bolts with lock washers, larger washers, and nuts, and just tighten it up. This way it will be mounted securely and you won't have to fight it as I tried.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
thank you for your input Net... I know I will be bashed for telling him what a TECH told me.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Naw! Why would I care aboot a tech!? Scott!!! very informative man...very appreciative..I am! Punk rock! Kick ass! Thanks ya'll! can't wait [;)]

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sharon we should line it up! our cars are probably pretty similar at the wheel I would imagine...after reading your sig the only things you have that I don't have are the:
motormounts (one's on the way!) the lip and the cossie TB OH YA and the suspension but I got the SVT suspension kit on the way too!

How's that cossie TB BTW? didn't you have trouble with a TB recently? Or was that the FC one..the guys at FS told me they wouln't put the FC TB on their cars even if they "got it for free"

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OH YA AGAIN so Scott hydro jack and jack stands are a NECESSITY right?? I would assume so cause my car is not easy to get under to change the oil

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sigh..to be honest I wasn't much of a car modding oficionado when I had Midas do my custom bend exhaust but I told them I wanted it to be very free flowing so I am not sure what size tubing they used. Anybody have a good guess they would like to offer uP??? What's the standard exhaust upgrade w/out requesting a specific size?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
thats a tuff one probably either 2.25 or actually a 2.5. [:)]

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for your optimism sharon! :-D

I guess I'll just wait and see if the flexpipe fits.... damn i'm stoked to finally have enough top end power to punch it going 80 in 5th and pull!

·
Registered
930 Posts
As long as the flange is still there, it will fit.

You won't regret going bigger (cossie) on a d23.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
turbovation said:
Thank you for your optimism sharon! :-D

I guess I'll just wait and see if the flexpipe fits.... damn i'm stoked to finally have enough top end power to punch it going 80 in 5th and pull!
Uh.. that would be low end power.. what RPM would you be at in 5th going 80? Going 80 in 3rd would be top end power.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I stand corrected. thanks for clarifying Frank!

I meant when I drop it into third going 80 or 4th going 90.

On another note--Focussport and cosworth are out of flexpipes for the next 4 to 6 weeks.
What kind of power decrease am I going to notice with the stock flex pipe...and would it be worth it to to just buy a different flex pipe from like draxas or a different company?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts