Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[chair]
So, changed my battery twice but still got the following problem.
After I make a short journey half a mile/one kilometre or so and then leave my car for a while and then try and start it, it seems to have a flat battery. This is WITHOUT any electrics on including lights. I've checked for a drain inc. trunk/boot light with no luck. Its as if the alternator doesn't seem to be bothering unless its on a longer run. I had alternator checked at a couple of places and both say its ok plus on a longer run if it wasn't working properly surely the problem would be worse. The starter motor also seems to work fine as if i keep starting and stopping the engine it starts first go. Any ideas ?? its driving me crazy. By the way its not fuel either because this happens even if left overnight after the short run.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Has to be the alternator or the Fusible Link (which is part of the battery cable, the first 8" of the wire coming from the alternator).

With the car running pull the positive wire from the battery and see if the car dies or bogs down real bad. If it does the alternator is not charging for some reason.

btw, short trips rarely charge a battery with more than a "surface charge". This could also be why it seems to test well, when it may not be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will have a look at this. Thanks.......
done above.
Definately not the alternator, working fine and wiring ok. Now thinking starter motor. running out of ideas

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read this thread. Our problems differ somewhat as his battery is draining every night. Mine only does it after a very short run whether its the last run on a night or short trip during the day. 9 times out of 10 I get a good start. Thanks for your help though. Any more input appreciated, thanks
I wonder if when the car starts initially it somehow is not setting something up correctly after a short run. What though i have not a clue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts