Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I ordered a new blue LED dome light and had it installed today. After about 2 hours I took the dome light down to mess around with the two side map bulbs, and then all the sudden they just shut off. I don't think I did anything, but I don't really have any idea. Now the dome light and the two side map lights won't turn on and I have no idea what the problem is. The two things are connected to the lights good... and I'm really confused.

Could someone help here, or gimme a clue about whats going on?

Thanks, and +Rep will definitely be given out to ANYTHING that helps...

-Spyder

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so I ordered a new blue LED dome light and had it installed today. After about 2 hours I took the dome light down to mess around with the two side map bulbs, and then all the sudden they just shut off. I don't think I did anything, but I don't really have any idea. Now the dome light and the two side map lights won't turn on and I have no idea what the problem is. The two things are connected to the lights good... and I'm really confused.

Could someone help here, or gimme a clue about whats going on?

Thanks, and +Rep will definitely be given out to ANYTHING that helps...

-Spyder

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
It's because the LED doesn't use the same voltage as the stock bulb.

Wiring in a resistor should fix your problem. I'm not positive what size resistor you'll need, but I'll do some searching

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it was working fine for a while, and then the dome part went off along with the two side map lights. The map lights are stock, so they shoulda been fine even if it was the new LED dome light... right?

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... well if a fuse did blow, then did it blow because the LED was too much or...?

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
That is possible if the LED bulb has a lower resistance than the standard bulb

Ohms law:
V = I*R
Where V is Volts
I is Amps
and R is Resistance measured in Ohms

Flip that around to I=V/R (Mathematically that makes sense)

Amps would be what blows the fuse, so were looking to see if that increases.
We will consider voltage to be constant at 12 (works ideally thats what it would be and its easier for the equation to consider it constant)

So when the resistance goes down, the amperage goes up.
So my original suggestion of a load resistor makes sense again.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.
Well here is the description for what I bought.

Description:
This all new design "HI FLUX" LED has 4 LEDs. It provides super 180 degree wide view angle. Replace the ugly filament bulbs with this ultra durable and non-fading brilliant beam LEDs.

Application/Models:
Dome Lights, Glove Box Compartment, Map Lights, Courtesy Lights, License Plate, Trunk or Cargo Lights.
3022 = 3021 DE3175 6411 6423 6428 6430 6461

Specification:
12VDC - Polarized

Operation voltage range:
10.5VDC ~ 15.8VDC

Auction Includes:
1 Piece -LED Festoon Bulb

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
Well then I'm stumped again.
It's obviously meant for your application and seems like it should be fine.

Unfortunately, it's not the first time a dome light has outsmarted me...

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol. Well I'm stumped too.
I think I'll just check the fuses in the morning and see whats up there, then I will post back in this thread.

If anyone else has a different idea of what coulda went wrong, PLEASE post.

Thank you.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
was the door open while doing this? the car will shut off all interior lights if one of the doors are open for a long time. this is called "battery saver"

Duplicate Threads suck[thumbd]

I merged the thread from the tech chat into this one.

hope you find out whats wrong

·
Registered
262 Posts
well...if fueses are fine, trying putting back the OEM bulb, and if it still dont work, check wires and connections. might have loosened somthing when you were tinkering with it.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
well...if fueses are fine, trying putting back the OEM bulb, and if it still dont work, check wires and connections. might have loosened somthing when you were tinkering with it.

I would have to 2nd that idea ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts