Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm heading down the freeway after about 20 miles during the storm tonight, and a semi gets in front of me. i tap the brakes twice to check em, then lightly apply to heat up the pads/rotors in case something stupid happens in front and i need to stop

as soon as i take my foot off, bam - ABS, TC, and E brake idiot lights come on. my brakes work fine so i'm puzzled but its 1130 in the middle of a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g storm and im 3 miles from my exit. 1 mile later i start smelling burning brake pad coming strong through the vents.

so i pull over and start to inspect the car, the culprit - snow.

the snow was packed so tight for about 4" inside each of my wheels that when I hit the brakes the calipers wouldn't release. each pad was gently pressed against the rotor. once the wheels were cleared it was smooth sailing the rest of the way home.

so if this ever happens to you, don't panic its probably just snow built up :D

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spray PAM around the inside of your wheels.
It'll help prevent the snow/ice buildup.
(It's an old mud racing trick. [;)] )
Haha, that's a clever idea. I was going to ask if anything similar had ever happened to you during the long snow treks.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I've had the snow muck up the front wheel balance so bad I thought a wheel was about to fall off, but it never messed with the brakes...

·
Registered
704 Posts
I use pam on my snowboard alot to keep the snow from building up on the top so inside the wheels sounds like it would work too. But I'm in Oregon and we don't really have a problem with snow. It's just that damn RAIN.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had the snow muck up the front wheel balance so bad I thought a wheel was about to fall off, but it never messed with the brakes...
It was even on all four wheels, but it was literally packed tight all the way to the rotors and all around the calipers. dangerous stuff that snow. I imagine people want to avoid their rotors/calipers if they decide to go the Pam no stick spray route on their next winter hike.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I dont drive my focus int hat much snow, but last winter driving my Cherokee to town and back (6" lift, TSL's, etc) through about 2ft of snow, I noticed it was getting hard to steer. Turns out it was the same issue, snow was packed in between the axle and the drag link and tie rod.

Your issue is weird, never heard of it being packed in that area. Good thing you looked, would have sucked to get a tow for something as simple as that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts