Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what's going on...
I am trying to install a Pioneer 8400 HU into my 2003 SVT.
My SVT has the 6 disc changer HU with Amp/Sub combo in rear.

I manager to get the stock HU out.
I am trying to wire the new HU up. I have a wiring harness set. Only one of the harnesses fit, other doesn't.

So I am really confused. I have one wired up but I still have wires everywhere.
And there is 3 harnesses comming from the dash.

How do I wire this thing up?
I like to think I am pretty good at this kinda stuff, but this had me really irratated.
Let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Oh boy are you in for some fun. If you haven't already, take the removed Ford HU to a stereo shop, they can provide you with the correct harness adapter kit. While you're there you may as well just have them install the new HU too. [rolleyes]

The third harness (the one that's black, kinda square shaped and has very thin wires) is for the subwoofer and I think also the steering wheel mounted radio controls. There is no commercially available ready-made adapter for this one - that's why I gave up and took the car to a stereo shop to let them finish the job.

And lastly, since it sounds like you're planning on keeping the stock sub/amp in the back, a word of caution - the factory Ford stereo performed the function of crossover, limiting the frequencies that the sub received to only the low frequencies that a sub should play. When you remove the factory HU, you remove that crossover. If your new HU doesn't have one built into it, then you'll have to go the same route I did and add some kind of crossover at the sub's wiring to keep it from getting full-frequency sound signals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts