Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

Is a set of an aggresive cams good for a 50 shot of nitrous on a stock engine? I'm thinking of buying a set of Crower 3s or a Cat 2s and a wet kit 50 shot of nitrous. I don't want to go any type of forced induction as of now. Please give me your opinions. (I may check this thread later tonight or tomorrow). BTW, concentrate only on what I ask please. I have a few bolt ons like intake, exhaust, and a udp. I'm also thinking of building my ATX. Just shoot...

Thanks
-Brian[:)]

·
Registered
755 Posts
With those combined the Auto will eat its self.

But, agressive cams are good for N20. The N2O helps make up for loss of tq at low rpms, and gives a good boost at top end. Just dont advance the timing like you would for NA or the motor may eat its self before the Auto.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
well let me tell you a atx loves cams and nitrous even more
mine is fine 2 bottles through it now and with a good tune your auto will not eat itself dont listen to ppl who do not have one or have worked on one firsthand, its a gr8 combination and you will love it and most of all your car will be quick

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for all replies. I know i gonna need some tunes and beef up the ATX. But for now, I will go with the cams and nitrous. Hopefully, the ATX holds up for another year after installation. ZX34me, may i ask you what type of cams do you have in particular and what jet are you using now for nitrous? The reason I decided to go this setup because I rode in one of friends 04 GT Mustang with 75 shot of N2O and made me smile and made me hold the seat. Its scary fast...

·
Registered
743 Posts
you may need to build you ATX before all that. Focus ATX isnt like the mtx

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the opinion, venomfocus. I know ur right, but the thing is I want to go fast now. I know the ATX is taking its toll from the bolt ons I have. I probably install a chip, use synthethic oil, and an oil cooler for the tranny the same time I will install the cams and nitrous.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You won't necessarily need a tune for the nitrous. You'll really only need to dyno tune the cams. Just make sure you run slightly rich when spraying. I usually do that by upping the fuel jet by 1.

I would suggest getting the nitrous tune just in case though :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
A tune is absolutely necessary for an ATX to tighten up the shifts & drop the torque a little at shift points. Might not be a bad idea to at least install a high performance valve body too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,

I'm looking to have about 200-220 whp and 180ish ft/lbs of touque with the nitrous. What is the lowest priced built tranny to handle that power? I think Lentech is overpriced and I don't know about Performance Automatic. Opinions are welcomed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
briandg510 said:
I'm thinking of buying a set of Crower 3s or a Cat 2s and a wet kit 50 shot of nitrous.
u will have clearance issues w the crower 3's...and from what i understand from the cat website u will be fine w the cat 2's but if choose any other cam profile then u will have issues (stage 1 have larger lift, but smaller duration, and stage 2 have longer duration, but smaller lift)

·
Registered
479 Posts
briandg510 said:
Thanks guys,

I'm looking to have about 200-220 whp and 180ish ft/lbs of touque with the nitrous. What is the lowest priced built tranny to handle that power? I think Lentech is overpriced and I don't know about Performance Automatic. Opinions are welcomed.
Performance Auto does not offer a Focus ATX, Lentech is not overpriced...you are basically getting a newly totally rebuilt performance trans. Level10 is the other company who offers an ATX performance trans. at litttle less than Lentech. Both are around $3500.00 depending on the Bells & Whistles you want.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
aim for 160/160 you will be dissapointed otherwise and its a safe way to go
i have fr stage 2 cams
zex 55 shot wet
msd window switch
nitrous tune , rich and -3 retard
bottle heater
purge
blowdown tube
step colder plugs gaped to .35
be safe now or sorry later

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love this forum. It's like a book you learn alot from different authors.

For all ATXers, would you 1)build tranny first, 2)engine first, or 3)be a traitor swapping to an MTX???

As far as power goes, i just want to have about +/-170whp. I think I gonna go with CATs2 or Crower 2s.

Just write on...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
your going to need a head for 170 or a set of stage 3's but you may get lucky but remeber theres alot of powertrian loss

·
Registered
958 Posts
autos lose about 22% while manuals only lose about 15%...not sure what teh lentech offers but u can prolly get that 22% down a little by upgrading the driveline to help get the power from the crank to the wheels like changing the bushings to stiffer bushings, replacing the motor mounts, etc good luck

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GOOD POINT. Does turbo-tom knows about the power loss of lentech? Hope he is reading this... Anyway, there is too much on mind about this ATX and MTX thing. I like ATX because they are accurate or should I say precise at the same time MTX is fun but can be expensive too. I'll contact lentech.
Thanks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
you would need more than a head and aggressive cams for 170whp . FR intake manifold and up the compression then yes....im not tring to rain on your parade. I would hate to read about your atx going up in smoke......just looking out

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have an SVT intake and exhaust manifolds going in the car. I'm talking to this guy that selling his ported and polished head. I hope he agrees to my offer. Even without a ported head I know 170ish HP is attainable by going with a freer flowing exhaust system, Stage 3 cams, better intake manifold, and a good tune ( i have read a lot of articles from my Focus Fanatic magazines).

BTW, thanks for looking out.

ZX34Me, how is your car at idles? Is it really rough? What is the rpm at idle?

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
You're not gonna hit 170whp with an ATX unless you're spraying. You'll be lucky as crap to break 150. But with the nitrous, you may get close to 180-200.

One other thing. Before you go spending all this money, add up how much you're gonna be spending. You can get a Powerworks supercharger for $3000.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts