Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2001 Focus ZX3 (automatic) to get the transmission fixed and was told that the TPS is also bad and needs replacing. Problem is the TPS they bought didn't match, so they called the dealer. It seems the old TPS was discontinued or something, and the dealer will only sell an updated TPS attached to it's updated throttle body. It also needs a connector, which they ordered for me and I will pick up later today.

I bought the new TPS and TB and took it to the transmission guys who took one look at it and said it had the same TPS they'd tried to put in previously. Supposedly they can save me money by buying the TPS from an auto parts place and using the connector I am bringing them later today, allowing me to return the TPS and TB that I bought (I'm still holding them, to ensure they are returnable.) According to them there was nothing wrong with the TB.

So old style TB, new aftermarket TPS with a connector from Ford.

Is there anybody here familiar with these parts who could please tell me if the TB must be changed, or if these parts will fit together?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
As far as I know, and hopefully someone who has tried this will pipe in, you need the TB and the TPS. True, there's likely nothing wrong with the TB, however I think anyone who has tried it said it didn't work.

There are some online suppliers that can get you the part rebuilt for a much lower price. The cost for A-1 Cardone to rebuild the TB/TBS is $75. Turnaround time is 3-5 business days. Check them out through Rock Auto.com by looking up your throttle body under Fuel/air.

It won't hurt you to try though, so long as you keep the original pigtail. I'm sorry, but this is a problem with early Foci- up to 2002.5 IIRC.

Best of luck. It could be worse, my clutch is $400-800 just for parts, but that's a later Focus issue. Earlier Foci are cheaper, that's the breaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts