Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I bought an aftermarket tach.. gonna follow the ECM guide to install the driver. There are 4 wires on the tach: power, ground, tach, and light.

Power obviously goes to an ignition power, such as the radio. Ground obviously goes to a ground.. tach is the tach signal from the adapter, and where would I tap the light wire into.. it's for the backlight of the numbers. Same one as the power?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
you can power the tach light with the 12v switch source along with the power wire. but if you want the light to only come on when you have your park/headlights on. you need to splice into the dimmer switch. remove the cover underneath the steering column(4 bolts) now remove the panel that houses the switch panel and far left vent(1bolt) unplug the switch harness from behind the switch housing. you may also use a phylips screwdrive and remove the switch. this may be easier for a first timer. you need to splice into the orange wire w/ a blue tracer. if you keep the harness in your hand and look at it the way it should be installed, it will be all the way over to the left on the top. run your light into this wire. now it will only come on when your park/headlights are on. and also, you can control the brightness along with all the other lights with the dimmer dial[thumb]

Attachments

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
God that looks hard. Could I just use a wire tap on that, or would it not fit? Now this is in the steering column, or what?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
wire tap will work great. im just into splicing and soldering. its not in the column. its behind the headlight switch. read the directions i gave ya[thumb]
large panel under drivers dash(4bolts)
you can let this panel hand there, no need to unbolt the hood release nor OBDII
removed the panel that houses the vent and headlight switch(1 bolt)
you can remove the switch itself for easier access.(3 screws)

seriously, its not hard at all. running your wires is a harder task than this.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smaller than 3" and on the steering column.

Scrammer you said the steering column, that threw me off [:)][thumb] Thanks a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts