Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 zx3 that I've been having some issues with. My current set up is Koni Yellows (f&r), FRPP Springs (I've been told are the same as Eibach/made by Eibach) and SVT Sways. Currently running -2* front camber.

I'm using aftermarket(Monroe) upper strut mounts and Ive been having issues with the strut and nut rotating inside the strut mount. Basically a friend put a line of white out down the strut bolt, nut, and onto the mount, and after a few days they moved, like pictured below(sorry, kinda bad but the arrows should give you an idea)

Slowly, the struts seem to be coming loose although we tighten it down correctly and use a lock nut on top. Now, the nut and strut bolt are rotating inside the mount. When we assembled the struts, we had them out of the car and tightened the top by hand until tight. Remember that the Konis are adjustable on top so I have to use two open end wrenches to tighten, not a wrench and an allen head. The bottom bolt in the knuckle is tightened to factory specs as well.

Now, is this a problem with Monroe mounts and being lower quality that stock? Is it that the mount bearing in pinching due to camber? Are we not tightening it down properly? Something we are overlooking?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Looks like the nut is wrong. It should be a flanged nyloc nut:

As it is now you don't have enough surface contact with the bearing to hold.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok but what's weird is that all the aftermarket companies(monroe and others) use the nut I have on mine. I will use a flanged nyloc with the install though! Maybe that will fix it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, where can I get those/what size(1/2x20 or something)? My local auto parts doesn't seem to have them.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Any home center/hardware story or a Fastenal should have some.
No clue on what size/pitch. Just bring one of the nuts you have with.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to feel so stupid if that's the cause of all this haha

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts