Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys....this ones weird:

I installed my pioneer HU a few days ago. I had it playing while I was doing some other stuff to the car, and everything was working like gangbusters. However, when I went to start the car, the the unit shut off and didn't kick back on. I messed with it later (checked wires/fus s) and for whatever reason it started working normal. I had it working with the vehicle on. So I shut it down to get ready for work but when I came back later (after changing nothing) it did it again. Wth?!

I've checked everything, wires, grounds, fuses...everything seems ok. What am I missing here?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Time to pull the Pioneer out of the dash and probe with a multimeter. Flick the ignition on/off as many times as need be. Watch for +12V on the red wire going into the head unit (ignition). Wait for the head unit to fail to power up. Then see if you have power on the red and yellow wires (use the black ground as ground for your multimeter). If you have power on both those wires, the head unit should power up regardless of any other problem you may/may not have. So if it has power and doesn't power on, something's wrong internal to the Pioneer and needs to be replaced. If you're randomly not getting power on one of the two wires, then you'll have to grab a schematic and start tracing backward. Might be easier to just run a new ignition or constant wire fused from elsewhere and call it a day.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Loose connection or ground IMO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts