Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2013 and it had an aftermarket sirius radio. I honestly haven't taken it out of the glove compartment to see what brand it even is yet (I just got my car monday). I'm not real familiar with sirius and know a few people who have had it and cancelled due to their bills continuing to go up.

I have browsed sirius's website and I see they can give you subscriptions with internet radio for wifi, but I'm not finding out quite what I want to know (albeit maybe I'm just asking a dumb question). What if I have tablets that do not have internet and only work through wifi. Can I purchase an internet radio subscription and use it on them if my head unit is wifi compatible on my sirius receiver? And if this does somehow work, could you then stream other websites using that?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You kinda lost me with the circular reasoning there.

If I figured it out right, the answer is No.

I've got an XM subscription with a separate XM receiver BTW, I'm guessing that MIGHT be what came with your car (Sirius version).

SOUNDS like you want to plug in the Sirius radio as an internet receiver without a subscription for that then use the tablet on Wi-Fi off of that combination. Doesn't work. First because the Sirius radio needs a subscription to get more than the intro channel, and second because the Focus system isn't WiFi capable. (AFAIK)

You could use the tablet Sirius internet subscription on Wi Fi through the radio, but you'd have to be in an area WITH WiFi coverage and that's pretty limited - the receiver in the glove box wouldn't be involved at all. Driving around a city block or parking lot where WiFi is avail. limits your driving range while listening....

Subscription to Sirius using a separate receiver instead of one built into the car is better than a single car subscription, as you can take the receiver with you & plug it in to additional docks elsewhere - or even their boom box accessory. I've got docks set up in two cars, a home stereo & a garage setup I made from a dock & a set of old computer self powered speakers - the type you can plug anything into for more sound than listening by headphones.

If you want to use an internet subscription, you need SOME way to hook up to the internet - whether by phone or WiFi. I haven't checked recently, but I hadn't heard of Sirius expanding to offer internet service. It's NOT a satellite phone system.

WiFi capable phone to the tablet to the car stereo would work.... Gets complicated, and that still doesn't use that receiver you got with the car.

Sirius's big advantage is being a satellite service that you can receive almost anywhere, they've got ground transmitters in cities to help with the building shadow problem - it even works in some tunnels. If you want to get it through the net, you have to figure out a separate way to hook up to that - and it's not as available as the satellite service is. Satellite is most popular for traveling, since it works even where a phone won't.

Dunno if that helps much, tried to figure out what you wanted to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car doesn't have Sirius. I have an aftermarket receiver that came with the car from the previous owner. I am willing to pay for a Sirius subscription. I'm just curios why they after a "Sirius Internet radio" package vs a regular package. What is different in the "Internet" part of it? I guess that's what I'm asking. I'm guessing it's basically giving you an app to use on a cell phone or tablet to stream from your own wifi. Not sure why I would pay for it if that's the case when I can do the same thing from my dish network anywhere app (which also has some Sirius channels).

·
Registered
44 Posts
The internet part is where you can stream Sirius stations from online. There is an App available for most phones, that I believe you can stream through that also. I used to have Sirius, car, and internet. Once I would enter work, I could continue listening to my favorite stations, over the internet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yea and typically, at least when I had it, you couldn't just have the internet radio. They forced you to get either your car, or an aftermarket radio subscription, to get the internet portion.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah, I didn't know if you could get the internet version separately. They advertise it to current customers to be able to listen when you can't use your radio.

Cheaper addition to the service, like adding additional receivers.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sailor nailed it. Having a Sirius "internet subscription" doesn't give you internet. It gives you their music service wherever you already have an internet connection. So your tablet would need WiFi coverage from elsewhere, then could connect online, go to Sirius's page, sign-in, and listen to Sirius radio.

As he also mentioned, the subscription for the receiver in your glovebox follows the receiver wherever it's taken. So if you have multiple cars, you just buy a dock for the other cars and move the receiver car to car. All one subscription. They also sell home kits to connect to your A/V receiver/ boomboxes / sound docks for them to be used inside your house. Again, still only one subscription.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts