Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't want the expense or complications of MFT and did not get factory Sirius radio. We have it in my bride's car, and I really miss it.
A local shop wanted to put a monitor on my windshield and an aerial on the roof; I wasn't keen on either idea.
Any suggestions on how to get Sirius in my car./?
Thanks,
Moon

·
Registered
33 Posts
I couldn't live without it either! I've used the plug and play units in my cars before. You can get a bracket to install the car unit out of the dash. It looks better. They can hide the antenna wire so you only see the antenna on top front or back. The key is to have a professional do it. Somebody that knows what they're doing. They should be able to make it look nice. It looked decent in my last car.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TL.
I'd even be content to hide the Sirius faceplate in the glovebox or console; IMHO, no need to look at it all the time.
I talked to a professional shop who did work on my daughter's car; I may have to have a longer conversation.
Moon

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why didn't you just get the Sirius radio WITHOUT the Touch Screen? I did, works fine.
Maybe I got lost in Ford's packages, but it was my impression that you needed to got to Titanium and/or MFT to get Sirius.
So let me ask you this. Is it possible to have the Sirius radio retrofitted by the dealer?
Thnx,
Moon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe I got lost in Ford's packages, but it was my impression that you needed to got to Titanium and/or MFT to get Sirius.
So let me ask you this. Is it possible to have the Sirius radio retrofitted by the dealer?
Thnx,
Moon

No, there are two different things here:
There is MyFord and MyFordTouch. If you have Sync, you already have "MyFord" Technology, which is different from MyFordTouch (that includes the touch screen).

I have Sync with MyFord Technology (non-touchscreen) with Sirius. Sync doesn't work with Sirius on the non-touchscreen version, so everything you do with Sirius has to be manually controlled (changing to sirius, changing the channel, etc.). Can it be retrofitted? I don't know. The entire unit looks like one solid, non-removable piece. I would think they would have to take the entire dash apart to get to the radio to switch it out.....but then you would also need the satellite antennae. Seems like an awful lot of work and money.

The 203A package is what you would have wanted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, there are two different things here:
There is MyFord and MyFordTouch. If you have Sync, you already have "MyFord" Technology, which is different from MyFordTouch (that includes the touch screen).

I have Sync with MyFord Technology (non-touchscreen) with Sirius. Sync doesn't work with Sirius on the non-touchscreen version, so everything you do with Sirius has to be manually controlled (changing to sirius, changing the channel, etc.). Can it be retrofitted? I don't know. The entire unit looks like one solid, non-removable piece. I would think they would have to take the entire dash apart to get to the radio to switch it out.....but then you would also need the satellite antennae. Seems like an awful lot of work and money.

The 203A package is what you would have wanted.
Sirius is not available on the SEL unless you also get the touch screen. It is listed in the menu but it is greyed out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sirius is not available on the SEL unless you also get the touch screen. It is listed in the menu but it is greyed out.
That is what I thought I knew during the ordering process; it did piss me off that Ford was trying to force me either to the touchscreen or the top of the line. I really like the car, but the corporate packages are bullpucky on a good day.
Thnx,
Moon

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
That's the idea of a higher trim. If you don't want MFT but want Sirius, go with the SE.

I've stated this before in another thread, but if ALL options were available on ALL trims, there wouldn't be a need to differentiate them. It's all about preference... if the higher trim doesn't meet your needs and the lower trim does, why not just opt to go cheaper?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, lets move on from the perfidious packages (and for the record, my SEL had some features that were not on the SE; it's the either/or thing that has me irked).

I'm still hoping for some insight on how to retrofit Sirius without it looking like I spent half an hour at PepBoys.
Moon

·
Registered
609 Posts
ok i routed my antenna through the top of the hatch, then down by taillamp -gently pulling back seal on weatherstrip- then thru the rear hatch area (tucking antenna in the plastic trim) then thru the RH rear seat to the floor. Then i tucked it gently along the trim near the RH front seat. Then I removed the passengers seat and sill plate to run it under the carpet and then up under the console (thank you Ford for putting the cutouts for tucking excess wires under said console) and ran antenna wire up to the Roady2 that is mounted on the trim panel on my gear changer.

Also was able to add another aux port by buying a splitter from best buy and running main aux line from glove box to the splitter (mounted on RH side of console securely, hidden by passenger seat) This allows me to have my creative mp3 player plugged in at same time as the Roady2. Although having both plugged in while only operating one does cause some volume decrease on the sirius unit, just have to unplug the mp3 player. Hope that is of help!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any compelling reason the OEM aerial can't be used? IIRC, they were able to do that in my kid's car.

Elwood, that sounds like pretty sanitary work to me. Barring being able to use the OEM aerial, what sort of antenna did you use? How is it attached? Where did you put the faceplate? Is that the 'Roady 2' you referenced?
Thnx,
Moon

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Car Audio & Electronics"

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well if you are using sirius/xm radio you have to use their antenna.... it simply sticks to the roof of the car (its magnetic) I put my roady2 unit (faceplate?) below my shifter. No worries, i know that often times things are lost in translation, will try to put some pics up for you

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, had a talk with the local shop that does this work.
Saw the aerial; it is flat and about two x three.
Any reason it wouldn't work from the INSIDE of the windshield?
That at least would save snaking the wire outside past the door seal.
Moon

·
Registered
609 Posts
nah, its got to be mounted to outside (roof or trunk). good luck !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't want the expense or complications of MFT and did not get factory Sirius radio. We have it in my bride's car, and I really miss it.
A local shop wanted to put a monitor on my windshield and an aerial on the roof; I wasn't keen on either idea.
Any suggestions on how to get Sirius in my car./?
Thanks,
Moon
There is a kit that hooks directly into the factory radio and uses all of the controls as if it were factory installed. Check with these folks:

http://www.radiosandmore.com/rmx/prodDet.aspx?pid=FIESTAKIT

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are working on a kit for the Focus, but it's not quite ready yet. If I hear anything I will be sure to post it though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts