Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So a few days ago my SVT got broken into and the aftermarket radio was stolen. I'm trying to replace it myself and not have to give BBuy my money to do something I know I can do myself.

Before the radio was stolen everything was working, including the stock subwoofer in the car and the steering wheel controls. I've never done any radio wiring before, but I'm more than capable of doing it myself if I know what parts I need and a general walkthrough.

The radio I had in the car before was the Alpine CDE-143BT, I'm going to buy that same radio again because I know it worked with the subwoofer and steering wheel, which as far as I can tell is something of an issue with this model car.

I've attached photos of what is left in the dash after the car was broken into.

There is also a black box wired into one of those plugs that makes the steering wheel controls work properly.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,126 Posts
Crutchfield.com will work for you real well. Includes a wiring harness, antennae adaptor, all for free with the purchase of the radio. It also shows what head unit will fit and which won't.

As for steering wheel controls, Im not sure about. Just look at the descriptions. Thats where I get everything for my car.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
You will need an axxess aswc to get the steering wheel controls to work. Their documentation has everything you need to know.

There are a few tutorials on here about hooking up the sub as well.

If you havent done anything of this nature before, then you might consider finding a friend. It's not difficult work, but its not entry level either.

·
Super Moderator
9,566 Posts
Moved to "Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics". I have to second the notion of going with Crutchfield.com. I have dealt with them many times and they are overly helpful in finding everything that you need for your car.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Nearly any head unit will work fine for you. Provided it has a rear/sub RCA preout and a wired remote input (pretty much any head unit >$89 retail). Not that there's anything wrong with the 143BT, just letting you know you have options.

If the head unit has 3 pair of RCA preouts, you'll have a dedicated subwoofer out and you're good to go. If it has 2 pair of preouts, it's selectable between rear or subwoofer. If you go into your initial setup menus, you can change it to subwoofer and you'll now get all the subwoofer controls under your audio menu. It's like that for all the big brand head units.

As you can see, the previous installer had to do a little splicing into your factory harness to get the subwoofer working. It's a little different on different model Foci, so I may be incorrect. But you'll cut an RCA cable, strip back the insulation, the factory white/black should go to the wire (which is positive/center pin of RCA) and the factory grey/black will go to the outer braided shield of the RCA (which is the negative/outer barrel).

Then the remote turn-on from your new deck will go to the factory black/lt blue (on other harness) to trigger the sub amp to turn on.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Oh and you'll need the 99-5806 dash kit, 70-1770 wiring harness, 40-VW10 antenna adapter (yes volkswagen), and the Axxess ASWC steering wheel control adapter. Crutchfield or Sonicelectronix will include everything but the ASWC for free if you buy the radio from them. But sometimes you pay upfront, if you know what I mean. Poke around online and do the math. :)

The Alpine 143BT is a decent enough choice. Pair it up with the Alpine power pack. Seriously, you won't believe the sound that little brick can make. And the 445A version is plug and play with an Alpine radio!!!

EDIT: I see at the end of your post you mentioned you have the black box? Or that the thieves took that too? I see now that the white/green wire running up to the harnesses is the steering wheel control wire. Obviously if the box is still hanging there, you don't need to buy it again. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts