Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing if anyone knows of an aftermarket rad that will fit the focus.

Every time I fix a leak in my cooling system another one shows up. If I drive enough to get it up to temp (the fans are running) and then park it to eat at a restaurant, I'll come back to a car with absolutely no coolant left in it.

I'm looking for a radiator that has the actual cap itself on it. I do not mind cutting the rad support and installing hood pins for this mod. I want to be done with the whole pressurized plastic bottle, plastic distribution manifold, etc.

I'm getting so tired of fixing Ford's mistakes.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Before you get in to deep, have you checked the cap that's on the tank, to make sure its maintaining the correct pressure? what makes you think replacing the radiator will fix what ever issues you have been having(might want to list them). don't forget that its eleven years old and will break from time to time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got a nine year old Focus with Fords' cooling system design (you refer to it as a mistake) and it still works just fine. In fact even on the hottest day (99F today) the temp gauge never moves past the middle and it doesn't lose an drop of coolant. Stop whining and fix the car properly and don't blame Ford for the issues you are having with a 12 year old car.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Mine is 11 years old and even in 105 degree weather and driving hard it maintains same temp and never had a leak. Question is were has your leak been coming from? If you park it and it had coolant then came back and no coolant it doesn't sound like it was the tank or the top plastic tube. Leak was coming from the bottom somewhere. If it was the radiator then that's what needs to be replaced. No need for an aftermarket radiator. Find the leak, replace that part and everything should be fine.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Also, I hope you are not having one part after another failing in the cooling system. Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly whats happening.

That's why I want to convert it to the system that doesn't use all the plastic manifolds and pressurized bottle.

Every time I fix a leak another shows up. It is running correct pressure, its not a head gasket failure.

Back when I bought it the coolant bottle was bad (its common to stress crack on every focus at some point), so I put in a used one from a junk yard and it did the same thing. Finally got pissed of that and put in the Ford revised unit with the new cap.

No leaks for a few months. Then the big hose that connects the lower rad hose and the plastic manifold started leaking. Fixed that. Now another hose is leaking somewhere.

There are so many bullshit hoses on this system its ridiculous.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well,
If you delete the plastic upper coolant hose and the plastic reservoir, how do you plan on routing the heater hoses?
And what do you plan to do with the now unused ports on the plastic water outlet housing?

Trust me when I say that you are barking up the wrong tree.
I mean look, 2 coolant parts replaced in 11/12 years, is that seriously that bad? No. It's pretty decent really. And if you thought that coolant hoses should last longer you're seriously mistaken. Hoses of years bygone, sure they lasted longer but where also constructed differently. And it's not like you bought a brand new car, and you don't know the maintenance history of you car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,
If you delete the plastic upper coolant hose and the plastic reservoir, how do you plan on routing the heater hoses?
And what do you plan to do with the now unused ports on the plastic water outlet housing?

Trust me when I say that you are barking up the wrong tree.
I mean look, 2 coolant parts replaced in 11/12 years, is that seriously that bad? No. It's pretty decent really. And if you thought that coolant hoses should last longer you're seriously mistaken. Hoses of years bygone, sure they lasted longer but where also constructed differently. And it's not like you bought a brand new car, and you don't know the maintenance history of you car.
Oh I forgot about that plastic. I can design and make an adapter to use an older metal T stat housing with 1/4"-1/2" aluminum.

I'm not an amateur with car repair and modifications. So yinz can stop treating me like it.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
well OK since this is an interesting topic that I myself need to know about, I found something that would work for you I think (for me, I would get the non filler neck model)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-2-25185-X/

it is 22x13 (focus, rounded to 24x14), so it's not as wide or as tall as the focus radiator, but it's 2 inches thick vs 1. you may have to get a bit bigger hoses too, focus is 1.31" inlet/outlet while this is 1.5" inlet 1.75" outlet.

all aluminum though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts