Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read several posts about putting the ebay aftermarket projectors on your focus. But I noticed nobody ever really leaves a follow up to how the headlights actually perform. I was watching and saving up for a set until I seen the one's I wanted on CL for $60 so I jumped on them. I'm just waiting for pics to transfer from my phone to photobucket. Everybody seems pretty happy with them, except me. I'm wondering if I just got a bad set? I have the low beams adjusted perfectly. They are the ebays so the cut off line looked like __/ __/. But anyways, the high beams are the problem. they work better as fog lights than anything else. seriously they point straight towards the ground almost. they really point to the base of the low beam pattern. i figured i would replace the projectors with some from the retrofit source so i craked the housing open and pulled the projector apart and the cut off shield was cut just like the cut off patern (duh) so I went ahead with some tin snips and just it straight across, no big deal they're getting replaced. and i loosened the screws and what not to tip the high beam housing up just a little bit but i can never get them adjusted just right. they're either up to high or just right but pointed to far in or out. I don't know what to do anymore. I'd really like to have me a set of the Hella xenon dynabeams but, these are going to have to work for the time being. I'd really like to keep these because my stock lenses are really bad. first picture is low beams, second is high beams and third is both on together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The beam you are describing sounds like a right hand drive beam for vehicles sold in UK and other RHD countries.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the cut off pattern was for LHD cars but i do notice that the beams are pointed to the left instead of the right as they would be in RHD. but the problems is with the high beams in the original position, they point almost straight down. if i can get them adjusted straight up without any left or right play they would be perfect. but there is only one bottom screw and it's off center so if i tip it up it's gonna point off to one side or the other.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
If you were having problems with the high lights, why did you cut the shield for the low lights?

And they're eBay lights. It works good as fogs because it uses H3 bulbs, which are foglight bulbs. Only other choice is to get Bi-Xenon projectors to retrofit if you want to keep the headlights.

There were some Machs on here for $350, and a pair of Euro headlights for about the same.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you were having problems with the high lights, why did you cut the shield for the low lights?

And they're eBay lights. It works good as fogs because it uses H3 bulbs, which are foglight bulbs. Only other choice is to get Bi-Xenon projectors to retrofit if you want to keep the headlights.

There were some Machs on here for $350, and a pair of Euro headlights for about the same.
I cut the shields on the low beams just messing around and to get rid of the flair that tailed off and up from them. And because I was going to retrofit with some H1 mini's from theretrofitsource.com The high beams are actually H1 bulbs, all 4 bulbs are H1. they work better as fog lights because I can't get them adjusted high enough/angled right/left. they are the same set as these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb7d6ae3a

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I have those same projectors, and all i can say is the stock output is TERRIBLE.

I bought them because i liked the way they looked, but i did some serious modifications to mine:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265354

Basically, i replaced the cheap projectors with some sweet bi-xenon projectors from Theretrofitsource.com. Then, i cut the cutoff plates out of the old low-beam projectors, and put them in where the highbeams used to be, so now, when im driving and hit the high-beams, both the bi-xenons flip, and the halogens come on.

Now, they look fantastic, and the output is unbeatable by any focus headlight ive come across yet. See page 2 of my thread to see the difference in output.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
I cut the shields on the low beams just messing around and to get rid of the flair that tailed off and up from them. And because I was going to retrofit with some H1 mini's from theretrofitsource.com The high beams are actually H1 bulbs, all 4 bulbs are H1. they work better as fog lights because I can't get them adjusted high enough/angled right/left. they are the same set as these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb7d6ae3a
Well the step is there for a reason... it's so it illuminates your half of the road more than the opposing traffic side. All projectors are like that, and it's either ECE or DOT steps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the cut off are there for a reason. It hasn't made much of a difference in beam pattern I just rid of the tail of light that flaired up and away from the main pattern. The output isn't bad if I could get them aimed a little higher. Even with a Retro fit for the projectors I still have to figure out the highs. I checked all over the housing and cannot find anywhere that it says DOT approved or legal

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I know the cut off are there for a reason. It hasn't made much of a difference in beam pattern I just rid of the tail of light that flaired up and away from the main pattern. The output isn't bad if I could get them aimed a little higher. Even with a Retro fit for the projectors I still have to figure out the highs. I checked all over the housing and cannot find anywhere that it says DOT approved or legal
the DOT thing is imprinted in the clear plastic on the very front triangle of the headlight. Its hard to see unless you really look.

And ill re-iterate, the stock projectors in the headlight are TERRIBLE, either do a retrofit, or find new headlights.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finally got the pics uploaded. the stock projectors aren't much different lighting wise from my stock headlights because they are so clouded up so I don't notice much of a difference but I do understand upgrading to a good set of projectors will dramatically improve the output. especially with a set of D2S 5000K set up I'd like to have. but as you can see from the pics, the lighting sucks all around. the low beams shine the furthest and they go maybe 90 feet in front of the car.

viper: I thought about doing what you did with moving the stock projector into the high beam slot, did you have to do any modification to get it to fit or was it just drilling new holes for the bi-xenons?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to pull n pay this morning and picked up a set of murcury cougar headlights with the dual projectors. Once I can get the right Allen wrench I can pull them out and see how they will fit into the housing. They are bigger diameter so that may be an issue but maybe they can work. They have the uncolored clear projector lenses which is what I wanted. If it fails I found a set of cheapo eBay projectors for a charger for $15 and I could also use the leds and swap them into my housing since one of my halos has burnt out anyway I've removed all the leds from my lights. Hopefully I can get pics up of the finished products

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait, $60 Ebay lights turned out to be shit!? You don't say? [slap]

[:D]
I picked them up for $60 off Craigslist. They were the same style I wanted that I was watching on eBay. I've seen dynabeams on eBay but that doesn't make them junk just because they're on eBay. Supposedly some if them work pretty decent because I haven't found many people on here who did buy them that complain except for the leds and halos. Like Viper, I bought them because I like the style.

·
saved from the grave
6,106 Posts
Save your money for better headlights, I speak from experience here. Also notice the seller in the link you listed has 127 negative feedbacks in the last year alone. If a seller has less than a 99.5% feedback I keep looking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts