Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

Need some help here. My '07 Focus ST will be here hopefully the first week in September, and I'm looking to gather my electronics for it now to be ready to install them when the car arrives. I am planning on purchasing a Pioneer AVH-6800DVD headunit http://www.crutchfield.com/S-COdonWdr8G5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&tab=essential_info&i=130AVHP680#Tab so I can have easier integration off my sirius sat. radio and IPOD.

My questions is can this headunit be integrated with the Audiophile system? (my ST is coming with the 500W audiophile system w/ 8" sub and amp)

If so, how easy and what am I going to need to do to connect the headunit to the factory sub and amp.

Phil

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got the same exact connectors when I ordered my Sony CDX-F7715X HU from Crutchfield. They worked with my 05 SES and now they are in my 06 SES. I will tell you this. The trip voltage to turn on the factory sub amp is 5VDC. ( 05 and 06 anyway ) "Most" aftermarket HU's have a 12VDC output for controlling an external amp, etc. So you will have to add a 5VDC regulator on that 12VDC wire from the aftermarket HU. ( If you feed that 12 VDC trip voltage into the factory sub trip voltage lead, you will hear a loud pop or thud each time you power up your system. ) I found this out later on after I did the install. Had to pull the new HU out and add in that 5VDC regulator. Radio Shack has these 5VDC regulators. A simple three wire "in, out and ground" hook up.

Also if you want to continue using the steering wheel controls, You'll need a wheel interface from PAC. Crutchfield sells them now. I got mine from PAC but the ones for Sony were brand new at the time and Crutchfield did not even carry them yet. Crutchfield has Pioneer Alpine and Sony wheel controls now so you are set. The completed wire harness I made works really well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
JayH said:
I got the same exact connectors when I ordered my Sony CDX-F7715X HU from Crutchfield. They worked with my 05 SES and now they are in my 06 SES. I will tell you this. The trip voltage to turn on the factory sub amp is 5VDC. ( 05 and 06 anyway ) "Most" aftermarket HU's have a 12VDC output for controlling an external amp, etc. So you will have to add a 5VDC regulator on that 12VDC wire from the aftermarket HU. ( If you feed that 12 VDC trip voltage into the factory sub trip voltage lead, you will hear a loud pop or thud each time you power up your system. ) I found this out later on after I did the install. Had to pull the new HU out and add in that 5VDC regulator. Radio Shack has these 5VDC regulators. A simple three wire "in, out and ground" hook up.

Also if you want to continue using the steering wheel controls, You'll need a wheel interface from PAC. Crutchfield sells them now. I got mine from PAC but the ones for Sony were brand new at the time and Crutchfield did not even carry them yet. Crutchfield has Pioneer Alpine and Sony wheel controls now so you are set. The completed wire harness I made works really well.
thanks JayH - first to answer your question. I haven't ordered it yet, but they claim they will give me the proper install kit. I'm not sure if I'm going to purchase the Pioneer unit off ebay yet. Can save about $400 for brand new systems. (not refurbished either). So I'll let you know what I end up doing. If I buy from crutchfield, I'll let you know if they supply me with the install kit.

Just so I know I'm getting this corret. This wire harness from crutchfield will be spliced into the harness that comes with the aftermarket HU. Then those end connectors then hook up to the ends that are attached the wires from the factory Focus stereo.

On that picture, is the controls for the stereo and amp in the big connector and then the sub hookup the little one w/ the RCA ends?

Is this the 5VDC regulator that you are referring to? http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=5v regulators&origkw=5V regulators

THis all seems like it should be a pretty easy job connecting everything together, or it actually much harder than it seems?

Once I get the focus, and order everything and start installing I'm probably going to have more questions. But for now, I'm just trying to see everything I'll need and get most of my questions answered now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello pfry10. Yes, that is the exact type of 5VDC regulator I used. Yes, the aftermarket HU's wire harness and the (2) wire harnesses from Crutchfield are spliced together. And that allows you to plug the aftermarket HU into the two Ford harnesses under the dash. I can email you a picture of the harness I made if you PM me your email address. I have no idea how to post pictures on this chat page. I was lucky to figure out how to post pics in my profile. LOL With the three plugs and the wheel interface, the completed harness is all you need to plug the aftermarket HU in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JayH said:
Hello pfry10. Yes, that is the exact type of 5VDC regulator I used. Yes, the aftermarket HU's wire harness and the (2) wire harnesses from Crutchfield are spliced together. And that allows you to plug the aftermarket HU into the two Ford harnesses under the dash. I can email you a picture of the harness I made if you PM me your email address. I have no idea how to post pictures on this chat page. I was lucky to figure out how to post pics in my profile. LOL With the three plugs and the wheel interface, the completed harness is all you need to plug the aftermarket HU in.
thanks for the help so far.... I'm not the best w/ posting pictures of installations and everything either, so if you can send any pics you can thru e-mail, it would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected]. Thanks so Far... That would a be a great start to my upgrade.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello pfry10, Sent you a large photo of my harness. You will be able to get an idea of what is involved. [cool]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JayH said:
Are all the wires from the 2 ford focus harness from crutchfield labeled to as what they are and to which ones they should be spliced to the aftermarket HU's wires?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Crutchfield gives you a detailed information sheet for wire hook-up. Most connector packages have info on the pin outs of the connectors too. I just read the info several times and made sure I was exact on everything. Make notes for yourself. Don't rush it, it takes time. Speaker hook-up, power lines, wheel interface, 5VDC regulator for sub turn on, sub audio connector. It is easy as long as you make sure its all correct "before" you power it all up. The wheel interface booklet from PAC covers all the info for the interface hook-up and programming. You might call crutchfield and see if there info sheets cover the 5VDC regulator needed for the sub turn on power line. That might not be updated on the Crutchfield install sheets yet. But that's just 3 wires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JayH said:
pfry10, I saw your link and the pics of your new 07 ST. VERY VERY nice!
Hey JayH

Thanks! I also received the pioneer AVH-6800 DVD HU in the mail yesterday also. So as soon as my crutchfield order (harness kit, HU kit for mounting, PAC steering wheel switch), and my sirius adapter and bluetooth adapter get here, the install will begin. the Crutchfield things are coming today, so this weekend, I can work on the soldering of the harnesses together and the steering wheel adapter like you have done. That way I can take my time. I'll probably be calling on you a couple times during that process so be prepared. But With the stuff you have told me already and the other research I've done, I think I'll be alright.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JayH said:
JayH

on connecting the 5V regulator piece. what wire did you connect it to on the Focus wiring harness and to which wire from the stereo. Also what is the black wire coming out of the middle and where does that go to/come from. Etc. Sorry for the newb questions, but I've never put one of these one before.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your Pioneer HU should have an AMP REM wire on its harness. That goes into the INPUT of the 5VDC regulator.

The center pin of the 5VDC regulator goes to a good GROUND location. I ran it to a ground lug on the chassis of my HU. See the screw on the back of my HU with the black wire?

The output pin on the 5VDC regulator goes to the smaller sub connector that you got from Crutchfield. Connect that 5VDC regulator output pin to BOTH of the (2) blue/white Amplifier Turn-on wires on that smaller connector from Crutchfield. (See Crutchfield wire drawing)

This will take the standard 12VDC (AMP REM) voltage from the aftermarket HU and regulate it down to 5VDC and on to the audiophile sub amp trigger wire in the trunk. (Audiophile sub amp uses a 5VDC trigger voltage)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey pfry10,
I would assume that Crutchfield "did not" update there info sheets to include the 5VDC regulator? The Crutchfield tech's know about this, but they didn't tell me about it until after I installed my new Sony HU. I had to call back and ask why I had a loud pop noise from the audiophile sub every time I powered up my system. THEN, they told me I need to add in the regulator! SO.... I had to open up the dash AGAIN and pull everything out and add in the regulator.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On the sub/amp harness from crutchfield, there are 2 amp on wires. Since there is only 1 amp in my car I'm only going to be using one of those, correct?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Crutchfield says to connect both of them. (blue/white) That's what I was told anyway. I ran them both to the output of the 5VDC regulator. I was not sure about this myself, but, I assumed both were needed. If only one is used, which one is the correct one? I wondered why it had two turn on wires, but I hooked both of them up. You might call Crutchfield and see if they have any updated info. Let me know.

Two sub audio cables too.
[:)]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts