Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the standard lower grill with no fogs in my ZX3 (non-SVT) and I'm considering adding aftermarket fogs. The logical thing would be to come up with a triangular-shaped fill plate for the outer corners of the lower grill opening where the OEM fogs would mount, and then mount the aftermarket fogs in that. I've seen a similar setup by Bosch, I believe and it looked okay, but I'm wondering what other configurations might look good (perhaps round fogs closer mounted somewhat inboard from where the stock fogs would go, centered under the front license plate, for example).

Anybody have any ideas, or better yet, pictures of what your own custom aftermarket foglight installation on a stock bumper?

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
there are a few guys around here who have put non-oem fogs in their grille, and all i have to say is that i like the stock look much better.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Go with stock, they are made to fit the car and they look good with the front bumper, awhole lot smoother then any other aftermarket fog lights.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm . . . not very helpful, guys. I guess you're right, though -- there's probably no way that somebody clever with some sculpting/bodywork experience could fabricate "ducts" to fit where the stock fogs go, then put in square filler "struts" in the grill opening to accept round aftermarket fogs. I can't even begin to imagine how that would look.

Oh, wait -- yes I can:

I think something like this could be fabbed-up pretty easily using a stock lower grill insert as a basis -- the "ducts" and "light struts" could be paint-matched for a more finished "stock" look. Gives the stock front something of a Euro RS look, IMO.

·
I'm Back!
2,304 Posts
Hmmmm . . . not very helpful, guys. I guess you're right, though -- there's probably no way that somebody clever with some sculpting/bodywork experience could fabricate "ducts" to fit where the stock fogs go, then put in square filler "struts" in the grill opening to accept round aftermarket fogs. I can't even begin to imagine how that would look.

Oh, wait -- yes I can:

I think something like this could be fabbed-up pretty easily using a stock lower grill insert as a basis -- the "ducts" and "light struts" could be paint-matched for a more finished "stock" look. Gives the stock front something of a Euro RS look, IMO.
^^Nice concept [thumb] Now just need to make it look clean.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
concpets = SEXY!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
WOW!!!!! Now that does look good. In the word of Captain Picard "Make it So".

Im a dork....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback, guys -- this is VERY do-able, IMO, and I'm now looking for a lower grill to use as my base. Anybody got a spare lying around that they're not using? It wouldn't have to be in mint condition -- I would probably replace the horizontal grill sections with a honeycomb mesh to match my SVT upper grill (the pic I chopped of the yellow Focus isn't mine -- my ZX3 is CD silver).

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
check the bst, or ebay. you should make the ducts run to a cai

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just picked up a lower grill cheap -- once it arrives I'll be able to start fabricating what I've envisioned. Wish me luck!

[cool]

·
Registered
900 Posts
mine are behind the grill but i like em.

and you cant see them when there off

thats just an idea.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Personally I'm liking the RS fogs from European-Parts ... but at basically 200 per light, I think I'll keep what I have for now. :\

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I'm liking the RS fogs from European-Parts ... but at basically 200 per light, I think I'll keep what I have for now. :\
Ditto -- except since I don't currently have fogs, I'm trying to figure out some OTHER alternatives!

[:D]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mine are behind the grill but i like em.
[thumb]

I like the placement and the "stealth" look, but I'd like to come up with something that has more of a "custom" (and non-"stealth") look.

Nice job, though! Thanks for the pics!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
yep no problem [thumb]

·
Registered
334 Posts
deleted original post, LOL.

My daughter thought this thread needed reviving, so she typed in her name :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts