Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i wanna put a exhaust on my car..and i want it to sound good...without it sounding like a 95 honda civic in new york city...haha.. but i dont wanna spend that much... but i want a nice smooth deep sound but u know wut i mean... nebody can help me out wit some good brands? oh yea and not extremely loud either... thanx plz help.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
x3 on the Borla, it's really nice. It's deep and throaty. I've never heard the MBRP personally, so I can't vouch for it. From what I've heard though, people love it.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
mbrp is very close in sound to a borla, and much cheaper, but either is a great choice!

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
go to a muffler shop and blow about 50-100 for custom bent cat back whatever size you want. get a glass pack and resonator. it will sound awesome. the only thing ur paying for with name brand exhaust that is different from the junk in a muffler shop is the name.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
i am getting a local shop to weld a 2.25 inch exhaust with 2 glasspacks from flowtech. they are 15 a piece and a muffler prolly a magnaflow if i can find a good priced one

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
x4 borla, trubendz tho. thats what ive got and it sounds really good. not that loud. its really low toned and smooth. only @285 shipped for 2.5"! by the way thats cheaper than MBRP, but that price isnt stainless MBRP is.

go to a muffler shop and blow about 50-100 for custom bent cat back whatever size you want. get a glass pack and resonator. it will sound awesome. the only thing ur paying for with name brand exhaust that is different from the junk in a muffler shop is the name.
the statement about "the only thing ur paying for with name brand exhaust that is different from the junk in a muffler shop is the name." isnt all that true. to a certain extent it is tho. there is no comparing a borla to a pacesetter exhaust. not even close! lol

if you go to a muffler shop the pipes are crush bent not manderel (spelling?). you def want manderel (same diameter in the bends=more flow=more hp). i added a glasspack to my borla exhaust b/c of my header thats going to be intalled.

if you just have a glasspack and a resonator it will be loud. go with the borla muffler and add a glasspack($25 for 2.5"!), its basically a resonator, only difference is glasspacks flow better IMO.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
my shop does mandrel so just check it before you order. the glasspack is a straight through resonator instead of a box with bends. do your HW and you can find great deals

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
how are you going to fit 2 glasspacks and a muffler in there? are the resonators small?
thats cool that your shop does mandrel, if i could find a shop that did that i wouldve just bought a muffler and let them do the rest.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
smooth and mellow = resonators. you're gonna want them. you can fit 2 resonators in the straight section after the flex and befor the muffler. Thats what mine has and even with the SVT header and ORP, its nice and mellow, no rasp. my exhaust setup is a custom with a Bosal muffler that i bought off another member.

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
which resonators are you guys running?

all magnaflow? part numbers?

i think the magnaflow #14416 is what trubendz ships when you add a resonator to your order...

I'm wondering what size fits under the focus, because I'd like to do two of the #14616, or maybe use reducing couplers and that huge #14641

http://justmagnaflow.com/ has the following prices:

All round & stainless

$67.42
Body: 14"
Inner: 2.5"
Outer: 4"

$92.25
Outer: 5"

$84.35
Outer: 6"

$115.08
Body: 30"
Inner: 3"
Outer: 6"
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...magnaflowparts.com/product.php?productid=6013

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
if you can, i might suggest running two different resonators.

now i might be wrong in my thinking, but i think that a resonator is effective at canceling a certain resonance frequency. if you put 2 of the same, then u cancel the same twice, which may not be as effective as canceling two different frequencies

its just a thought. if anyone knows different, please post.

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
metallic core high flow catalytic converter
two #14416 Magnaflow straight through mufflers
one Borla offset muffler

all 2.5" ID

sounds effin great

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
if you go to a muffler shop the pipes are crush bent not manderel (spelling?). you def want manderel (same diameter in the bends=more flow=more hp)
the muffler shop i went to did MANDREL bending not crush bending. they stuck a slinky looking thing in the pipe before bending it to make it keep the 2.5 diameter. indeed there are shops out there that do shoddy jobs. just gotta find the right one in your area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts