Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a head unit. I figured it out. the connectors I was using to connect the amp + and - where not making a good connection on the rca. soldered on some bigger wire and the connectors where able to make a good connection and it works.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Figured I'd post up in here because I saw some people asking about the Ford amp turn-on voltage pop issue. Yeah, it's been awhile. But someone may be reading this in the future.

Just like some of the earlier posts have said, you need to cut that 12V remote turn-on voltage in half (the Ford amp actually looks for 5V, but 6V is plenty close enough). You can do this a couple different ways.

1) A transistor/voltage regulator can be had from an electronics store for a buck or two. Usually just three connections. Voltage in, voltage out and ground. There's many different regulator numbers that would work for this. You'll have to hop into your local shop and ask someone. The L7806CV works perfectly, but will require a soldering iron and a little skill.

2) A single resistor in-line the remote wire. This doesn't actually reduce the voltage at all. It reduces the large current spike when the amp kicks on/off. If the resistance is high enough, it will usually work well enough to make the pop inaudible. I recommend 3k ohm or above.

3) The final method is a voltage dividing network. It's just two resistors of the same value oriented in such a way that half the voltage is shunted to ground and half to the amp. This truly reduces the voltage presented to the factory amp and is recommended over option #2 above.

So for example, you could use two 3k ohm resistors (or 2k or 4k or 5k, it doesn't matter). Vin is the blue/white remote turn-on wire from your new head unit. Vout is the factory amp turn-on connection. The symbol at the bottom is ground. Yes you can just tie right into the ground you used to wire up the new head unit. And obviously soldering these connections together is highly recommended. Insulating them with tape/heat shrink is a must.

I have personally used all 3 options many many times in many different Fords. They all work.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts