Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in a 2008-2011 Focus replaced their battery yet? What did you choose and why?

My car is coming up on 5 years since its manufacture date and still has the OE battery. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd prefer to get a new one before too much longer.

I don't typically see anyone talking about batteries, nor could I really find any threads about battery replacements.

My initial thought is Optima, but if I've missed some mention of a common solution for a majority of owners, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I've have a shuriken and a couple of autocrafts and they have only lasted a couple of years.....due to the fact of the load I put on them, I honestly don't think one is better then the other unless you get into car audio batteries. I think Optima's are a bit of hype but that's just me, what are you planning on doing with it whats your electricial load?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Optimas are sealed better than standard batteries and use AGM (absorbed glass mat) cells. Main reason I'm looking is because I have a source to get one at a discount.

But I don't really -need- that kind of battery, it would just be nice to have.

Never heard of Shuriken, sounds cheap.

Really my biggest concern is a battery that will fit neatly into the stock location and can withstand autocross/racing abuse.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Biggest problem with optima's from my viewpoint is the limited sizes available.

Didn't find one to fit mine the last time I looked.

Ended up with a freebie Interstate I modified slightly to fit (end tabs needed grinding off). Fits in tray with the cover on, posts in the right place, can't complain about the 944 cast off.

I've actually had good luck with WalMart batteries for truck/boat, lasted well with no problems.

Interstate's are good, but sold mainly at garages so both easy to find & a bit more $.

Originally a diehard fan, but those got both poorer & harder to find long ago.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've had a Walmart battery in mine for the last 2 years, no problems at all. Fit is exactly the same as the Motorcraft one. No problem with the factory battery hold down, or the one supplied in the turbo kit.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Optimas have really went down hill. I wouldn't spend the money on one.

Juicebox batteries just released their 50AH black cherry batts. Should fit up front. $120 shipped. 2 year transferable warranty.

Or

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I've had a Walmart battery in mine for the last 4 years. Hasn't disappointed me yet. Well, having a little problem with power demand between HIDs and boomy bass thingies, might have to wire in a second one or something..

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got a Bosch Premium from Pep Boys last fall which was 89.99 installed. There was a special, and I also used an online coupon or something and submitted the order online for in-store installation. The guy in the store at the time said it was a decent deal. It's 111.18 right now on the website, after rebates.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I was thinking about getting an XS Power battery.. Kinda like having a built in capacitor.. But it's $400 for a direct replacement. Meh.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've had a Walmart battery in mine for the last 4 years. Hasn't disappointed me yet. Well, having a little problem with power demand between HIDs and boomy bass thingies, might have to wire in a second one or something..

Those HIDs aren't drawing any more power than your halogens were. Perhaps you should just turn the bass down a wee bit since you blew your speakers anyway :p

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Those HIDs aren't drawing any more power than your halogens were. Perhaps you should just turn the bass down a wee bit since you blew your speakers anyway :p

Shhhh... They're only slightly blown >.>

Edit: They're not blown I'm just retarded. I was hearing a fackton of distortion because I had the wrong frequency filter enabled... How do I audio?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If you are looking for a regular lead acid battery, try to go for a JCI battery.

I have the original battery in mine. The green light has gone out a few times on it ... I think it's nearing the end of its life.

I am going to either replace it this fall or wait until next fall. We'll see. They aren't cheap, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Honestly, I usually just go get another OEM battery at the dealer. They seem to last the longest unless you go for an Optima.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts