Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any positive (or negative) experiences with after market chips and ECUs for the Focus (not necessarily the 2012 because it's so new) they'd care to pass along.

I've looked at a couple of 2012 Focus cat back exhaust hp/torque claims, and frankly I'm appalled at how little you apparently gain for the kind of money these systems cost. The Saito Racing exhaust with a professionally mapped PC III piggy back unit I've got on my ZX 14 (Kawasaki) was good for 16 + HP. [burnout] I spent a lot more on the Saito than the MSRP of the two Focus cat backs I've considered, but most of that was due to it being titanium. I'm sure a SS system of the same dimensions would make equal HP, and just weigh more.

To be fair, and compare apples to apples; I'd really have to [wrenchin] a long tube header, full exhaust, & piggy back chip on the Focus to properly judge any gains against those on my ZX. Not sure if I want to spend that much time, money, & effort on the Fous or not; then there'd be the out the window cost of the trashed warranty...........always a big consideration.

Anyway........I see an ad for some outfit called GFChips under the log in boxes on FF's home page. Anyone heard of 'em, or better still have some practical experience with them to relate? How aout other chip/ECU manufacturers with a track record of good gear for earlier model Foci? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I don't see much point in adding a chip or piggyback ECU to the N/A Focus, that said, if the teaser of the Cobb Focus ST from SEMA is real, then expect them to release their AccessPort tuner for the ST and maybe even a version for the N/A. If that's the case, it's neither a chip nor a piggyback, but instead is able to reflash the ECU. Using their AccessTuner software you can change parameters of anything they unlock in the ECU, and then reflash the ECU with the new parameters.

If you want more info check their site.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Not too many are going to buy a chip for the 2012, as it will void the warranty. Only once the original warranty is over, will anyone start changing stuff.
The ones who race and do not care about the warranty are few and far between.
So give it a few years...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not too many are going to buy a chip for the 2012, as it will void the warranty. Only once the original warranty is over, will anyone start changing stuff.
It sure will, but only if they find out...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
[deviltail]
You are naughty boys.
Manufacturers make hard parts and ECU chips long before the first warranty expires. Cobb had their AccessPort tuner out for the Mazdaspeed 3 in 2007, it was released in 2006 as an 07 model, so... there you have it. They also had hard performance parts made for it as well.

Aftermarket companies don't care if you void your warranty, they just push the limits of the car.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I had my Mk4 Mondeo 2.0l diesel remapped, the dealership never noticed it, even when I sold the car back to them. The car was more than able to handle the extra power and torque because Ford eventually sold a more highly powered version than the one I had anyway. I'm planning on getting my Focus remapped, as soon as one is available, as there is a 180ps version of the same engine and transmission than I've got at present coming out next month, thus it should be fine.
Chris

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, cuke2u. As I'm new to "Fords", being a life long GM guy......which UK Ford model features the 180ps version ofthe Focus motor? Cheers!

You are naughty boys.
Oh...............it's worse than that in my case. Being naughty is amongst the least of my sins. .)

·
Registered
968 Posts
The euro-titanium x, It's a 1.6 turbo with a 6 speed manual.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, actually, as far as I know at present, it will be the Zetec-S in the UK, with a body kit as well. This is from someone who works for Ford in the UK. I've searched high and low for pictures but as of yet I haven't found any yet. The Titanium X is going to be dropped with only the Titanium available with the X-pack as a option as per the C-Max and Fiesta.
Chris

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I get back on the 5th to pick up my SE...........I will ask the dealer if there any comparable US models then (when he asks why..........I'll tell him it's so I can "Frankenstein" my car's ECU! [grinking]). Thanks!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
When I get back on the 5th to pick up my SE...........I will ask the dealer if there any comparable US models then (when he asks why..........I'll tell him it's so I can "Frankenstein" my car's ECU! [grinking]). Thanks!
There are not. Every US-Spec Focus has the same exact 2.0 GDI engine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for crushing my dream, Bro! [;)]

·
Registered
290 Posts
I personally think "Warranty" is 'way over-rated. After the car goes 12000 miles, and generally behaves, I think I'm good to go.

However, as for tuning, I would make pretty darned sure that the Company is well-grounded in understandign the tradeoffs that they are making. I think that SIDI (Spark Ignited, Direct Injection) is not yet really understood in the aftermarket. That would give me some pause!

Euro

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point EFF.............was unaware of that aspect of modding something this new. I'll check into it!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I personally think "Warranty" is 'way over-rated. After the car goes 12000 miles, and generally behaves, I think I'm good to go.

However, as for tuning, I would make pretty darned sure that the Company is well-grounded in understandign the tradeoffs that they are making. I think that SIDI (Spark Ignited, Direct Injection) is not yet really understood in the aftermarket. That would give me some pause!

Euro
Hi, it's diesel technology mated to a petrol, throw in a turbo, not your engines I know, and things could get complicated. One of the issues you have with any tuning is compression ratio, things are probably already getting a tad stressed already.
Although maybe you can use something from here: http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=20 would be nice but not sure if it is the same engine.
Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have no experience with an ECU flash on Ford products, but I do with my GTI. The Audi Performance and Racing (APR) ECU flash is AMAZING. It takes the car from 200 HP and 207 ft/lbs to 252 HP and 280 ft/lbs instantly. Those are at the crank numbers. The flash costs around $500 and is the best perfromance mod for the money. Add a $300 APR carbon fiber intake and the regular GTI is faster than the Golf R and probably the Focus ST. It drives better than the Golf R before the upgrades anyway.

I would love a ECU flash on the 2.0 GDI Focus engine that takes the power to 180 HP and 180 ft/lbs. The APR programing also has a valet mode when you take the car into the dealer. I've even been to VW dealerships that sell the APR chip reflashes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi, it's diesel technology mated to a petrol, throw in a turbo, not your engines I know, and things could get complicated. One of the issues you have with any tuning is compression ratio, things are probably already getting a tad stressed already.
Although maybe you can use something from here: http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=20 would be nice but not sure if it is the same engine.
Chris
Same Engine with Direct Injection and Ti-VCT.
A lot of stuff has been changed but it's still the same basic block Mazda MZR,
Mazda MZR Disi, Duratec 20 L4, It's a good engine.

The Focus ST will have this engine with a turbo. (Ecoboost)

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to forum, I have 12 focus SE, just over 3k, waiting delivery of new Power Performance Chip X2, also considering a very innovative product on their site. It is an electric turbo. Bolt on unit that installs between the intake and air box, replacing the airbox and air intake hoses....uses an electric motor, rpm unk, forcing more air into intake.....interesting idea using electric power instead of exhaust gas to power forced air intake. Want to wait on this to see if any gains are noticed from the chip plug in, which is only 70 dollars. I will post results and opinions......grshppr710 ps, company is called 'Engine performance chip'.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts