Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. My first post here.

Back in December, I managed to run my 2007 into a sewer grate one icy morning. This resulted in pretty much everything on the passenger side of the vehicle, from the rim into the axle assembly, as well as the fender needing replaced.

I got the car back yesterday, and I'm pretty pleased with the cosmetic results of the body shop. However, there still is a mechanical problem.

The car is a standard. When I start out, there is a lot of vibration and noise in first gear. This dissapears as the speed increases. To some extent, it's also present in second, and a little in third, but only right after shifting. I can also hear and feel it if the gas is hit hard while at cruising speed. If I start out extremely gingerly, the vehicle doesn't vibrate or make the noise.

The noise and vibration remind me of how the car sounds when trying to start out in second gear - that almost, but not quite slip noise as the engine bogs down. I can feel it in the floor and to some extent in the shifter.

When speed for the particular gear is reached, there is no noise or noticeable vibration other than that which you'd expect for the speed. The engine RPM is the same as before, so I don't think the clutch is slipping, and there doesn't seem to be any alignment problems.

The body shop was forced to use a used suspension assembly, from a car with 4000 miles on it. The rim was also used, but has a new tire on it. The rest of the parts are new.

The shop has it back, and the technician confirmed that there is something odd going on. That, and the conversations we had earlier about how sucky my insurance company is makes me believe they aren't messing around, but simply missed some hidden damage.

Anyone have experience with this sort of problem? My limited knowledge is pretty useless here.

I can provide a list of parts replaced if that would help.

**edit** The shop informs me that the noise only happens while the car is on the ground. Putting it on the rack and attempting to duplicate the problem has no result.

·
Registered
308 Posts
As for the vibration, does this happen only when u are driving or does the noise exist when u are stopped?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vibration happens only when moving. More specifically, only when starting out. It's most noticeable in low gears, but I can hear it/feel it any time the gas is hit hard (like passing another car.) It reminds me of how the car sounds when you try and skip a gear when the RPM is too low.

Otherwise, the car is fine - no noise or vibration.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well with a crash here, a domino effect could be the result and something could still be broken in there. Being that it only makes the noise and vibration when it is under the pressure from the car holding itself up while going could maybe give the idea that its nothing to the frame. Is the vibration enough to feel any difference in the steering?
If u could narrow where the noise is coming from, that might help to figure out wat could be wrong.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Check your motor mounts.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
differential might be coming apart. its not cheap to fix if it blows out at medium to high speed. means replacing the whole tranny. suggest that to the shop and see what they think. it would fit better if you felt at at all speeds instead of only when you start out. do you feel it more when making slow sharp turns?

·
Registered
359 Posts
a car is never going to be the same how it feels or drives after a wreck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts