Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the same problem for over a year and it STILL is not fixed.

in case you dont know, I got a set of aftermarket (ICW) 17" Rims, cant think of the tires off the top of my head, but they are great in handling.

Anyway, when I am driving below 50, everything is fine, but when i go from 50-65, the steering wheel shakes like crazy for about 10 seconds, then just stops shaking totally for another 5 seconds, then starts shaking again. AS WELL as the whole car itself shakes.

I know steering shaking = front tires, whole car shaking = rear tires.

I have had all 4 tires replaced, balaned and rotated over 10 times, and had spacers put in.
It STILL does it and its beginning to piss me off.

Anyone have any ideas? the only thing I can think of could be the rotors, but i still cant figure out why it will stop shaking for a few seconds, then start again.

Please help. Thanks

·
Supercharged
3,276 Posts
Transmission drive shaft? Motor mount? Wheel bearing?

I had the same probelm with my 99 Grand Prix GT.

I had 2 sets of tires and the vibrations were the exact same on both sets so I knew the problem was elsewhere. The suspension's A-arm metal had become stressed and began to hairline fracture (A design flaw).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have hubcentric rings installed with your rims. If not, get some and it may fix the problem. Other than that an alignment with a printout of camber, toe etc. may reveal another underlying problem. As said before a visual insepection of all major suspension components will help rule out major problems. I myself would get rid of the spacers, that just makes for extra stress on the suspension, wheels studs, lugs, etc.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my bad, i didnt mean spacers, i meant hubcentric rings, i just couldnt think of the name of em.

So basicly the only way to really figure out whats going on, is to bring it to like the ford dealership and have them run tests on it?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Go to any "Bob's Auto Repair" and get your front-end aligned for $45. That might fix it, and even if it doesn't...you still have front-end aligned anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts